Re: 24/7/8+(!) crunching & simulating all of Life

  • Jerry Muelver <jerry@allmyfaqs.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Hosang"
      <rmhosang@j...> wrote:
      > Hi Foon,
      >
      > I'm sorry, I thought you meant external I/O. I'm reading
      from one
      > large file into an array, and appending to each of 4 files once a
      > complete loop. I've tried to keep the displayed text down to a
      minimum -
      > about 4 short lines once a loop.
      >
      > I'm sorry to say that I don't know how to setup a ram disk.
      It
      > might help with ver.2, which maxes out all of 256meg ram that I
      have. I
      > would appreciate knowing how to do that.

      Copy & paste the following into your config.sys

      DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
      DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
      DOS=HIGH,UMB
      DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\RAMdrive.sys 5120 /E

      See http://dslnuts.com/ramdrive.shtml
      http://www.cyberwizardpit.com/article3.htm

      ---- jerry
    • bbjen@hotPOP.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
        At 08:15 PM 2/1/03 -0500, Bob Hosang wrote:
        > I'm sorry to say that I don't know how to setup a ram disk. It
        >might help with ver.2, which maxes out all of 256meg ram that I have. I
        >would appreciate knowing how to do that.

        Here's how to do it, but it probably is not the answer because it has to
        utilize part of your existing RAM. Unfortunately, you can't create
        additional memory. That takes a bigger chip.

        To set up a ramdisk::
        in C:\Config.sys enter the lines:

        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 4096/e

        For example, 4096 gives 4 MB of ram to the ramdisk.

        The file on my system (win98) looks like:

        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
        DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 4096/e

        > Number wise LB's numeric capabilities seem to be good - and
        >pretty fast. I've tried floating point tests which show complete accuracy
        >to at least 100 decimal places (sci notation).

        I am VERY interested in how you verified such great accuracy! Any chance
        for a demo or a snippet?

        Bill J.

        ---
        [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by http://www.intouchmi.com]
      • Foon
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
          Bob,

          I see others have given you advice on the RAM disk issue. I was just about to tell you that if you're already short on memory that approach won't help.

          As to generating math co-processor specific code, the benefit isn't necessarily accuracy, but rather speed. Again, I'm not sure if you need to do this, or even can with LB. Hoping Carl or someone else can clarify this for us.

          I know what you mean about a NatSel model being of general value, but I *really* think it's a bit too ambitious given the piecemeal state of current scientific knowledge. We'll need a MUCH better understanding of all aspects of genetic and environmental systems before such a model would be even partially valid. IMHO.

          All the best,
          - Foon
        • Robert M. Hosang
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
            Thanks for the info, Jerry

            Bob

            On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:31:33 -0000 "Jerry Muelver <jerry@...>"
            <jerry@...> writes:
            > --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "Robert M. Hosang"
            > <rmhosang@j...> wrote:
            > > Hi Foon,
            > >
            > > I'm sorry, I thought you meant external I/O. I'm reading
            > from one
            > > large file into an array, and appending to each of 4 files once a
            > > complete loop. I've tried to keep the displayed text down to a
            > minimum -
            > > about 4 short lines once a loop.
            > >
            > > I'm sorry to say that I don't know how to setup a ram
            > disk.
            > It
            > > might help with ver.2, which maxes out all of 256meg ram that I
            > have. I
            > > would appreciate knowing how to do that.
            > >

            > Copy & paste the following into your config.sys
            >
            > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
            > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
            > DOS=HIGH,UMB
            > DEVICEhigh=C:\WINDOWS\RAMdrive.sys 5120 /E
            >
            > See http://dslnuts.com/ramdrive.shtml
            > http://www.cyberwizardpit.com/article3.htm
            >
            > ---- jerry

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Only $9.95 per month!
            Visit www.juno.com
          • Robert M. Hosang
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2003
              Foon,

              I think you're right about the present state of the info
              available, but it doesn't hurt to try to think ahead a little.

              Bob