Possible Combo Plotter

  • one_eag1e
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hey everyone..

      I am in the midst of writing a rather extensive QM project to make
      my life easier at work. It deals with chart reviews (I work in a
      clinic), and I need it as a tool to quickly identify what should or
      should not be included in the review. This program will do that for
      me.

      While I am in the midst of thrashing he code about, I began briefly
      on my error checking routine and discovered I really need to check
      the "array" of groups of radiobuttons to accurately determine if the
      chart should be included in the review, and to give it an
      appropriate score.

      Here is my difficulty.. I have 80 buttons, arranged in sub groups of
      3 (yes, no, NA). Bigger groups are made up of those groups by
      variable to qualify a particular portion of the review. Currently, I
      have 11 Main groups of 3 buttons, but it is growing as more criteria
      is added.

      What I need is a simple program that will allow me to input
      variables and tell me the possible combinations of those vairables,
      so that I do not miss one, and am able to effectively trap out those
      that should not be allowed. ie. if something is uncontrolled, then
      it should not be allowed along with a controlled response within the
      same group.

      Example:

      Diabetes:
      uncontrolled y n na
      controlled y n na
      blood sugar tested each visit y n na

      In the vary coarse example above, I would want to disallow myself
      from selecting both controlled and uncontrolled within the group.
      Problem is, some of the groups have 20 lines of possibilities, and
      trying to do it in my head each time is quite time consuming and
      VERY inaccurate (incomplete more like it) as I always seem to find
      a combo I did not think of.

      SO: My question... Does anyone have or are they willing to put
      something together that will do the task accurately for me? What I
      am looking for is a plain proggie that will ask how many x's (the
      criteria) in the matrix and how many y's (the resposnses) and then
      list out the possible combinations of those so that I can be sure to
      get every one covered for redundancy checks, conflict cheecks, and
      assignment of Scoring.

      To over simplify (becuase I can do the 2x2 easily heheh):

      2 criteria 2 responses

      y y n
      y n y

      more complex:

      2 critieia 3 responses

      y y y n x n x n x
      y n x y y x n n x

      Now imagine this one!

      10 criteria 3 responses!

      y y y y
      y y y y
      y y y y
      y y y y
      y y y y
      y y y y
      y y y y
      y y y y
      y y y n
      y n x ..............etc..... (my brain hurts!)

      I am asking instead of doing because I have a ton of other code to
      go still, and I need this ready in 2 weeks in prep for our JCAHO
      inspection.

      Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

      Thank you in advance!
      Lee
    • alincon2001
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
        Can you put your radio buttons in group
        boxes, to prevent more than one in group
        from being pressed?
        r.m.

      • Chergarj@cs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
          In a message dated 12/2/02 12:04:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          alincon@... writes:

          << Can you put your radio buttons in group
          boxes, to prevent more than one in group
          from being pressed?
          r.m. >>

          Yes, but I could be mistake.

          G C
        • one_eag1e
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
            Already have that done, I have 80 groups of 3 buttons at various
            times in the program, (Quality Assurance can be a bugger, ya know!
            heheheh). I have gone ahead and manually figured them out, plotting
            them on paper... perhaps after this project, I will look at writing
            a routine to do this, for some other poor sap in my postion.
            Necessity is the mother of invention, afterall... Thanks though.

          • Gordon Sweet
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
              Message: 3
                 Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:53:39 -0000
                 From: "one_eag1e" <hawkeyel@...>
              Subject: Re: Possible Combo Plotter

              I may be 'barking up the wrong tree' but I wonder if it is necessary to employ umpteen different combo boxes. My suggestion below, based on the one supplied by Carl with LB, could use the same combo box, accepting many different menus. You could even read in different instruct$ from DATA

              But I am a bit baffled why the DIM is not needed, also beware all, I have found instances when PROMPT cannot be trusted to evaluate sel=val(sel$) correctly, and I have been forced to use a Textbox. I expect I can produce an example of where it goes wrong if anyone is interested.     Gordon

                  'COMBOBOX.BAS  - amended short combobox demo
                  nomainwin
                  WindowWidth = 360 : WindowHeight = 270
              '    dim array$(100) ' NOT NEEDED????

                  prompt "Enter Selection 1/3"; sel$ : sel = val(sel$)

                  SELECT CASE sel

                  CASE 1 : restore [sel1]
                  CASE 2 : restore [sel2]
                  CASE 3 : restore [sel3]

                  END SELECT

                  restore [sel3]
                  read max
                  for n = 0 to max
                      read r$
                      array$(n) = r$
                  next n

                  combobox #main.testcb, array$(), [selected], 26, 16, 136, 200
                  textbox #main.index, 182, 16, 136, 25
                  button #main, "Accept Selection", [accept], UL, 182, 51, 136, 25
                  statictext #main.instruct, "Hey", 182, 86, 136, 200

                  open "untitled" for dialog as #main

                  instruct$ = "Select an item in the combobox and watch the " + _
                      "number change, then change the number and hit Accept " + _
                      "Selection go the other way."

                  print #main.instruct, instruct$

                  'wait here for input event
                  wait

              [selected]   'Perform action for the combobox named 'testcb'

                  print #main.testcb, "selectionindex? xVar"
                  print #main.index, str$(xVar)
                  wait

              [accept]   'Perform action for the button named 'accept'

                  print #main.index, "!contents? yVar"
                  print #main.testcb, "selectindex "; yVar
                  wait

              [quit]
                  close #main : end

              [sel1]
                  data  9,"This","is","a","test","of","the", "emergency", "broadcast","system"

              [sel2]
                  data 4,"second","choice","of","combo","data"

              [sel3]
                  data 4,"third","choice","of","combo","data"