Re: [libertybasic] Is it possible to use Lb on webservers?

  • jason herbert
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 30, 2002
      As far as internet apps go... in Lb... we have barely
      gotten one way email apps to work. For what u want u'd
      have better luck on a programming tool with internet
      in native code. (course, if ur good u could always
      try.) Good Luck!
      Jason Herbert
      --- steven64464 <steven64464@...> wrote:
      > Is it possible to use lb on webservers to run
      > scripts/programs/tasks
      > etc simular to the way you use cgi/php? , I have no
      > idea how to
      > program cgi but i have a idea when it comes to lb
      > and if i can use
      > that i will :-).
      >
      > If it is possible could anyone give me a clue how to
      > go about it?
      >

      > Steve

      =====
      "MUNDUS VULT DECIPI" The world wants to be decieved
      JASON HERBERT

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • one_eag1e
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1 12:11 AM
        This is a good question!

        Brings up another... id LB IntrAnet Friendly? Can it access
        networked drives?

        --- In libertybasic@y..., "steven64464" <steven64464@h...> wrote:
        > Is it possible to use lb on webservers to run
        scripts/programs/tasks
        > etc simular to the way you use cgi/php? , I have no idea how to
        > program cgi but i have a idea when it comes to lb and if i can use
        > that i will :-).
        >
        > If it is possible could anyone give me a clue how to go about it?
        >

        > Steve
      • steven64464
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1 4:16 AM
          so i take it that its impossible since my posting has been ignored

          --- In libertybasic@y..., "steven64464" <steven64464@h...> wrote:
          > Is it possible to use lb on webservers to run
          scripts/programs/tasks
          > etc simular to the way you use cgi/php? , I have no idea how to
          > program cgi but i have a idea when it comes to lb and if i can use
          > that i will :-).
          >
          > If it is possible could anyone give me a clue how to go about it?
          >

          > Steve
        • steven64464
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1 4:17 AM
            oh sorrys i dident see the replys :-( , these forum scripts are bad

            --- In libertybasic@y..., "steven64464" <steven64464@h...> wrote:
            > so i take it that its impossible since my posting has been ignored
            >
            > --- In libertybasic@y..., "steven64464" <steven64464@h...> wrote:
            > > Is it possible to use lb on webservers to run
            > scripts/programs/tasks
            > > etc simular to the way you use cgi/php? , I have no idea how to
            > > program cgi but i have a idea when it comes to lb and if i can
            use
            > > that i will :-).
            > >
            > > If it is possible could anyone give me a clue how to go about it?
            > >

            > > Steve
          • Rob Durk
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2 1:35 AM
              --- one_eag1e <hawkeyel@...> wrote:
              > This is a good question!
              >
              > Brings up another... id LB IntrAnet Friendly? Can it
              > access
              > networked drives?

              Yes. I run a central filebase accessed by a client
              written in LB...just points to the mapped drive on the
              server.
              3.02 (and, I think 3.01 - don't quote me!) can also
              use network resource locators in the form
              \\Admin\database to point to files.

              Cheers

              Rob

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Brad and Anna Moore
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2 12:41 PM
                Well no one does it right now that I know of. Is it imposible? Probably,
                but I have seen the imposible done time and again by this group, so it all
                depends on how you define the term.

                Brad.

                > so i take it that its impossible since my posting has been ignored
                >
                > --- In libertybasic@y..., "steven64464" <steven64464@h...> wrote:
                > > Is it possible to use lb on webservers to run
                > scripts/programs/tasks
                > > etc simular to the way you use cgi/php? , I have no idea how to
                > > program cgi but i have a idea when it comes to lb and if i can use
                > > that i will :-).
                > >
                > > If it is possible could anyone give me a clue how to go about it?
                > >

                > > Steve

              • jason herbert
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2 1:31 PM
                  U'll have to guide me through that one. I didn't know
                  it was possible.
                  Jason Herbert

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2 4:51 PM
                    Then the next logical question in my book would be, will it allow
                    multiple user access to the same data file, and if so, which type of
                    files are used vs which type cannot be used?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2 8:07 PM
                      Hello Steve,

                      Here is a clue to doing CGI in LB.

                      The example program demonstrates writing to stdout and reading from
                      stdin. Gowever, problems may arise with data file sharing since LB
                      lacks any built-in means to control file access privileges.

                      Brent

                      --- In libertybasic@y..., "steven64464" <steven64464@h...> wrote:
                      > Is it possible to use lb on webservers to run
                      scripts/programs/tasks
                      > etc simular to the way you use cgi/php? , I have no idea how to
                      > program cgi but i have a idea when it comes to lb and if i can use
                      > that i will :-).
                      >
                      > If it is possible could anyone give me a clue how to go about it?
                      >

                      > Steve
                    • one_eag1e
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2 9:07 PM
                        --- In libertybasic@y..., "Brent Thorn" <lbgui@a...> wrote:
                        > Hello Steve,
                        >
                        > Here is a clue to doing CGI in LB.

                        > The example program demonstrates writing to stdout and reading
                        from
                        > stdin. Gowever, problems may arise with data file sharing since LB
                        > lacks any built-in means to control file access privileges.
                        >
                        > Brent

                        Hmmmm, that answered my question... wonder if there is a way to
                        lock the file outside LB?
                      • Rob Durk
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3 1:58 AM
                          --- jason herbert <ace66613@...> wrote:
                          > U'll have to guide me through that one. I didn't
                          > know
                          > it was possible.
                          > Jason Herbert

                          Hi Jason!

                          If your computer is on a network and has a mapped
                          drive you can access the drive with the usual
                          commands:
                          open, close, files, etc.
                          Suppose your network drive is R

                          open "R:\shared\data.dat" for input as #datafile

                          will access the network file in the usual way.
                          There ARE issues with LB and filesharing, though. I
                          haven't had a problem with it as every file gets
                          closed as soon as it has been read.

                          For network locator-type addresses.
                          Our Intranet server is called "Admin". (OK, so I
                          couldn't think of anything stunningly more original at
                          the time.....)

                          The same file could be accessed as

                          open "\\Admin\shared\data.dat" for input as
                          #datafile

                          The second method has only recently been implemented
                          in LB, so I have used it less.

                          The other important thing, obviously, is to ensure
                          that the computer hosting the file/resource has it
                          shared!

                          Cheers

                          Rob

                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        • Rob Durk
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 3 2:09 AM
                            --- one_eag1e <hawkeyel@...> wrote:
                            > Then the next logical question in my book would be,
                            > will it allow
                            > multiple user access to the same data file, and if
                            > so, which type of
                            > files are used vs which type cannot be used?

                            Hi there!

                            As noted in my reply to Jason, I haven't found any
                            problems, but I suspect that is more to do with people
                            NOT using the files all at the same time!

                            The (rather organic) setup I've produced uses
                            sequential and random access files....logging on also
                            checks a 'version' file on the server and warns the
                            user to upgrade if they're not using the latest
                            release.
                            There is a separate upgrade program which copies the
                            newer files from the network drive to the local one.

                            So far, no vast problems, although with only 10 users,
                            many of whom are not using the network simultaneously
                            it's hardly a destructive test....

                            On the other hand, if LB was to be able to open files
                            explicitly for sharing that would eliminate the
                            problem!

                            Cheers

                            Rob

                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                          • one_eag1e
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 3 5:53 PM
                              > On the other hand, if LB was to be able to open files
                              > explicitly for sharing that would eliminate the
                              > problem! - Rob

                              Thanks for the response, and I assume that if that feature were
                              opened, then pure support and access to MS ACCESS DB files would be
                              the next logical request... maybe in v5 we'll see the beginnings of
                              the ability to do such things. ;-)
                            • jason herbert
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 3 7:24 PM
                                Thanks.