Re: [lbnews] Mathematician Needed

  • W. D. Allen Sr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 11:15 AM
      Given N objects from which to select K sets then,

      the number of combinations  = N! / (K! (N - K)!)
      and
      the number of permutations = N! / (N - K)!

      where permutations are those sets where the order of the objects in a set is unique while combinations are the total number of possible sets, regardless of object order.

      WDA

      Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2001 8:57 PM
      Subject: [lbnews] Mathematician Needed

      Does anyone know how to work out permutations?  What I want to do is calculate all the possible permutations of say, 6 numbers out of 7, 8, 9 and so on.  Is there a standard formula or method that will do this?

      I can see that you could take the first six numbers and then drop each number in turn, replacing it with one of the extra numbers in sequence, but I how can you be sure that you have covered all possible combinations?

       I'm not asking for the Basic code to do this - I can work that out.  What I need is just the method.  Thanks in advance,

      Derek

    • W. D. Allen Sr.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2001
        NOTICE!!!!!!!!!!!

        The combination and permutation definitions in my last email are INCORRECT and should be reversed as follows:

        Combinations = N! / (N-K)!

        and

        Permutations = N! / (K! (N-K)!) =  Combinations / K!

        Bill Allen

        Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 11:15 AM
        Subject: [libertybasic] Re: [lbnews] Mathematician Needed