46976Re: [libertybasic] help regarding old basic command

  • John Fisher
    Sep 2, 2013
      Of course!
      It's worth anyone who has not realised this to try the following code
      which shows the gain.
      However, pedagogically ( ie wearing my ex-schoolmaster hat) I've never
      met anyone who quotes Pythagoras starting 'The hypotenuse multiplied by
      itself is equal to ...', or says 'the power dissipated in a resistor R
      carrying I amps is I I R'.
      And as always, if speed is important why use a function anyway?

      'CODE __________________________________________________
      print "Using exponentiation /power function it took ";
      now =time$( "milliseconds")

      for i =1 to 100000
      result =VS( 2 *i, 3 *i, 4 *i)
      next i

      print time$( "milliseconds") -now, " milliseconds"

      print "Using multiplication /product function it took ";
      now =time$( "milliseconds")

      for i =1 to 100000
      result =VS2( 2 *i, 3 *i, 4 *i)
      next i

      print time$( "milliseconds") -now, " milliseconds"

      print "Using in-line calculation, no function, product rather than
      exponentiation, ";
      now =time$( "milliseconds")

      for i =1 to 100000
      result =2 *i *2 *i+3 *i *3 *i +4 *i *4 *i
      next i

      print time$( "milliseconds") -now, " milliseconds"

      end

      function VS( x, y, z) ' here we define the function
      VS =x^2 +y^2 +z^2
      end function

      function VS2( x, y, z) ' here we define the function
      VS =x*x +y*y +z*z
      end function
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic