43556Re: Aligning text and objects

  • paradisejb
    Aug 2, 2011
      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jcoones@...> wrote:

      > ... I tried doing a very simple windows thing to just display some text as a learning project but while I got the window to appear including a 2 item menu that I set up, for some reason I could not get the text to display. I just used a simple Print statement but it would not display in the window. Lots to learn I guess. I'd like to find a place where I could get some sample code showing how to set up a window and get it to display something in the window. ...

      John,

      A user cannot interact directly with the window in a graphical user interface (GUI), like he can when using the MAINWIN. (The mainwin is text based, like Notepad).

      To interact with GUI based programs, the user interacts with "controls". You cannot print directly to a window, you must print to a control. For text display you have two basic controls: statictext and textboxes.

      You'll find the Windows GUI programming to be exciting and challenging. It's all very manageable when taken a step at a time. If your version of LB is late enough, you may have the Lesson Browser included. With it, you can run a Tutorial Lesson series. To check if you have the Lesson Browser, look under the Help menu for an item called "Liberty BASIC Tutorial". That would be a good place to start.

      Hope it helps.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic