40761RE: [libertybasic] menu halts program

    May 1, 2010
      > Hi,
      > This is the second time I've tried to post this query. It
      > didn't seem to appear, so apologies if it does appear twice.
      > I have a continuous graphing program which has a a menu bar.
      > The main loop of the program is something like:
      > Do
      > Scan
      > Loop until 1=0
      > When the menu is accessed (or in fact, any windows dialogue
      > box like FILEDIALOG is brought up) the program halts the loop
      > until the menu is closed again, then the loop continues.
      > Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a limitation of
      > LB, or is there some workaround?
      > Many thanks,
      > Ross

      Instead of using a loop you can use a TIMER to update the graph.

      The basic structure would be:

      ' first turn timer off, so we can do our work without getting interrupted
      TIMER 0

      TIMER 100, [StartTimerLoop]

      The advantage is, that you can turn off the constant update of the graph from anywhere in your program by issuing a "TIMER 0"

      To have the update of the graph being fully independent from the GUI user interaction, one would have to create a separate thread
      for the graph update procedure, but this currently not possible with LB.

      Stefan Pendl

      Liberty BASIC Assist 4.03 ........ http://www.libertybasic.com/assist.html
      Liberty BASIC 4.04 RC2 ........... http://www.libertybasic.com/lb404setup.exe

      Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit RTM