      From: libertybasic@yahoogroups.com [mailto:libertybasic@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of mikensd5464
      Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 12:46 PM
      To: libertybasic@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [libertybasic] Re: USB Support

      Thanks David,

      your comments are very helpful. I figured I might be up against quite a
      challenge if I did not have any pre-written DLL's. I guess I will look
      at options using chips that have DLL support. Knowing that LB can at
      least support USB connectivity through DLL interfaces is encouraging. I
      guess the other option would be writting a DLL, which of course would
      require a lot more work, knowledge, and more expensive tools (C
      compiler, etc.)

      Thanks for making it clear what I am up against.

      If any one has a suggestion as to what chip would be a good choice for a
      USB device endpoint that eases the PC side sofware development using LB,
      that would be appreciated. I have been considering using the Microchip
      PIC18F2455, but I don't know how easy it will be getting that chip to
      work in a Windows XP environment, especially if I want to use LB to do
      cost considerations.

      Mike

      --- In libertybasic@yahoogroups.com, David Speck
      <MedelecInstruments@D...> wrote:
      > Mike,
      > Other LB users have been able to use LB to talk to USB controlling
      DLLs,
      > like external A/D converter boards. You will need to have the
      specifics
      > of how the control DLLs work, but most USB interface chip suppliers
      > provide pre-written Windows control DLLs for their USB chips. If
      your
      > USB interface chips do not come with control DLLs, you might want
      > look at different ones that come with the necessary software, as
      writing
      > and debugging the control DLLs can be difficult. There is a fair
      bit of
      > overhead involved in initializing a USB device, and also handling
      whet
      > happens if it is unplugged while in operation.
      >
      > There are sections in the LB conforums about DLL interfaces.
      Previous
      > posts archived in this newsgroup may also be helpful. I believe
      that
      > Alyce's eBook on LB has a section on implementing DLLs.
      >
      > LB itself is not, I believe capable of providing native host side
      > support for custom USB devices, and I'm not sure it could be done
      in VB,
      > either. That sort of project is usually done in C or assembly.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > mikensd5464 wrote:
      >
      > >I am developing a USB peripheral device. Eventually, I will need
      > >have this device communicate on a Windows XP platform. The first
      > >question I have is, will I be able to use Liberty Basic to create
      an
      > >application on Windows XP to provide the communication between my
      USB
      > >device and Windows XP? Will I need to use (or can I use) the
      Windows
      > >XP API with Liberty basic to do this? How much Windows XP API
      > >knowledge would I need to obtain to do this? I am writing the
      firmware
      > >in the external USB device so I have complete control of what
      needs to
      > >be done for USB support in the device. I don't have any
      application
      > >level DLL's on the PC host to support the USB so I am wondering to
      what
      > >extent Liberty Basic could be used to provide this interface.
      > >
      > >I suppose I could look at Visual Basic to do this but that would
      seem
      > >like over kill if Liberty Basic could do the job.
      > >
      > >Is it worth considering Liberty Basic for this? And if so, where
      is
      > >the best place to find some helpful examples or tutorials for
      this.
      > >Any pointers in the right direction on how to do this would be
      > >appreciated.
      > >
      > >Thanks,
      > >Mike

      Yahoo! Groups Links