Press Statement from ALSIN.

  • mogul211
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2004
      ASSOCIATION OF LIBERIAN STUDENTS IN NIGERIA(ALSIN)
      C/O RICHARD F. NGAFUAN
      ROOM 214 AWO HALL
      OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY
      ILE-IFE, OSUN STATE
      NIGERIA
      EMAIL: liberiastudents@...

      PRESS STATEMENT ON THE REVITALISATION OF THE
      ASSOCIATION OF LIBERIAN STUDENTS IN NIGERIA.

      Fellow Liberians, Our Nigerian brothers and friends, all and sundry:

      As the wheel of history turns it becomes increasingly compelling for
      conscious men to provide the lubricant that keeps the vehicle of
      progress in action. This vehicle must involve sincere men that will
      synergize their abilities, positive will and resources inorder to
      keep active the continuum and to ensure the momentum of their onward
      drive to progress.

      It is precipitated against this conscious backdrop that on December
      31, 2003 as another year slipped into the bosom of history and while
      ushering in a new vista of hope, enthusiasm and possibilities that we
      the Liberian students in Nigeria, glowing with the flame of
      knowledge, love for the Fatherland and an earnest desire to ensure
      national healing amongst our already divided people, decided to
      convoke on the Oru Refugee Camp, Ogun State, Nigeria to form, fix,
      establish and to elect a new corps of officers for our noble
      organisation, Association of Liberian Students in Nigeria(ALSIN).

      This gathering of Liberian students from various Nigerian
      universities, polytechnics, theological seminaries, schools of
      nursing and other tertiary institutions after a hectic two-days
      session gave birth to a new leadership to direct their course for a
      period of one year. Emerging from this intellectually tensed,
      politically charged, and democratically transparent process were the
      following students: Mr. Richard Fatorma Ngafuan from the Department
      of Demography and Social Statistics, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-
      Ife President; Mr. Tailey
      Garley, Department of Accountancy, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
      Vice-President and Mr. P. Obediah Browne, Department of Civil
      Engineering, Anambra State University of Science and Technology, Uli
      Secretary-General. Also elected were Mr. Ernest G. Smith Jr.
      Department of Computer Engineering, Ibadan Polytechnic, Financial
      Secretary and Mr. Alton V. Kesselly, Department of Physics,
      University of Abuja, Abuja Public Relations Officer.

      In keeping with the usual style and tradition, the official swearing
      in and turning over ceremonies were held immediately after the
      election at which time the official documents and properties of ALSIN
      were turn over to the President-elect, Mr. Richard Fatorma Ngafuan,
      on behalf of the elected officials by Mr. James Zulu Grear, the out-
      going Secretary-General of the organisation.

      The newly elected officials were given the mandate to ensure, inter-
      alia, the fostering of academic excellence and unity among all
      Liberian students, the soliciting assistance for needy students, the
      rehabilitation and revitalization of the already shattered edifice of
      the mental sanctity of the Liberian youth, and the portrayal of a
      positive nationalistic image by keeping the emblem of Liberia aloft
      in the constellation of nations.

      In this light, the Leadership of the Association of Liberian Students
      in Nigeria(ALSIN) is calling on all well-meaning Liberians, the
      Interim Government of Liberia, Liberian youth and civic institutions,
      the Federal Government of Nigeria, Non-governmental organizations and
      Philanthropic institutions to collaborate with us as we endeavour to
      achieve our dream for the benefit of our fellow Liberians and mankind
      in general.

      DONE THIS FIRST DAY OF JANUARY, 2004 AT THE ORU
      REFUGEE CAMP, ORU-IJEBU, OGUN STATE, NIGERIA.

      Signed: Alton V. Kesselly
      Public Relations Officer(PRO)

      President