Ivorian Hope; Liberian lesson!

  • gbahnsay
    Message 1 of 50 , Oct 26, 2000
      When Robert Guei come to power in December of
      last years, I lost all hope for the Ivorian people and
      their country, giving what happends when people come to
      power through the use of guns. That's why it did not
      shock me to have learned about Guei's intention to
      participate in the elections.<br><br>But quite astonishingly,
      Gui is out of the country. After declaring himself
      the new president of Ivory Coast, in an election he
      knew he clearly lost, he invited the idea of having
      his butts kicked, when in response to Guei's illegal
      position on the elections, hundrends of thousands of
      Ivorians took to the streets demending that he give up
      power. And surly enough, Guei has been sucessfully
      booted out of the office he illegally occupied in the
      first place. What happen there that brought an
      immediate halt to Guie's dictatorial rule has been
      discribbed around the globe as "a true revolution", Bravo to
      the brave people of Ivory Coast!<br><br>Anyway, as a
      Liberian, who have been watching the ugly events right in
      our backyard, I am compelled to infer that what's
      happening in Ivory Coast will somedays soon, happen in
      Liberia. We almost have the same situations that brought
      Guei down, but what we don't have is the bravery to
      confront armed soldiers who might be told to shoot us in
      the streets. What we need to know if we ever try to
      do such a thing, is that somebody will have to die,
      so others can live, so are you ready to join
      together in a confrontation force that would pave the way
      for Taylor's exit? I hope so, Cuz as you know, we
      don't have much time to loose. The year 2003 is just
      aroung the coner, and you know we have a task making
      sure Taylor does not mess with the Liberian like he
      did during his mass murder and distruction and the
      most disgraceful elections we have ever had, so let's
      get ready now to defect Taylor in the year 2003!!
    • torgbi_of_chicago
      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 17, 2004
        Madam Emily Rose
        Deputy Resettlement Officer