Google Enables Free Calling and IM Communications Service

  • merabashir
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      Assalamo Alaikum dear all my seniors

      Google Talk, a downloadable Windows application from that enables
      Gmail users to talk or IM with friends for free, has been released,
      posing a challenge to existing telecom and VoIP providers.

      "At Google, we're continually investing in areas where we can make
      technological change, and we recognize the importance of efficient
      instant communications and information exchange," said Georges Harik,
      director, Product Management, Google Inc. "Google Talk further
      enriches our users' communications experience, whether they choose to
      communicate via email, IM, or a call."

      Gmail users can download Google Talk by visiting
      http://www.google.com/talk/. Once they download the application, they
      can begin inviting others by clicking "Add friend" from the Google
      Talk interface. Those invited to Google Talk will also receive a free
      Gmail account, if they do not currently have one.

      Built to support industry standards, Google Talk enables Google users
      to connect to the Google Talk service and exchange IMs using any
      client that does the same, including Trillian, Adium, iChat, GAIM,
      and Psi.

      The company says it is also committed to working with other service
      providers to create a federation model that enables users on any
      member network to talk to users on any other member network in a
      secure and abuse-free manner. Google is currently working with
      EarthLink to federate with their Vling communications service and
      with Sipphone on federating their Gizmo Project.

      Google Talk requires a Gmail username and password, and starting
      today, Google is making it easier for anyone in the U.S. with access
      to a mobile phone to sign up for a Gmail account. When users visit
      http://gmail.com and enter their mobile phone number, they will
      receive an invitation code via a text message. This code enables them
      to open an account. With a Gmail account, users can try both Gmail
      and Google Talk, and begin inviting their friends and family to talk
      with them for free over email, IM or a voice call.

      Google's search technologies connect millions of people around the
      world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford Ph.D.
      students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top web
      property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising
      program provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results,
      while enhancing the overall web experience for users. Google is
      headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the Americas,
      Europe, and Asia.

      Bashir Ahmed