Open Access the 4th revolution in human cognition and communication: Fwd: Richard Poynder interview with Stevan Harnad

  • Zapopan Martin Muela-Meza
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- Peter Suber <peters@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > OA strategy, his approach to advocacy, his
      > contributions to OA beyond advocacy, and how OA
      > fits into his wider academic interests on the
      > evolution of language and cognition.
      >
      > From Richard's introduction:
      >
      > >Stevan Harnad is a cognitive scientist based at
      > >the Université du Québec à Montréal. He is also
      > >one of the leading lights of the Open Access
      > >(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access>OA)
      > >Movement, and a self-styled
      > "<http://openaccess.eprints.org/>archivangelist".
      > >
      > >Harnad is often portrayed as a bully and a
      > >fanatic ­ a man so determined to get fellow
      > >researchers to make their papers freely
      > >available on the Web that he will brook no
      > >disagreement, responding to all contrary views
      > >and dissenting voices with such a relentless
      > >barrage of rebuttals and reproaches that his
      > >opponents are eventually forced to retreat.
      > >
      > >But this is too simplistic a picture of the man.
      > >For Harnad, OA is not ­ as his critics claim ­
      > >the obsession of a pedant with a one-dimensional
      > >view of the world, but the prelude to a fourth
      > >revolution in human cognition and communication.
      > >(The first three, he says, were language, writing, and print).
      > >The goal of OA, Harnad says, is to unleash a
      > >potential long latent in mankind's unique
      > >language capacity, one that will allow us to
      > >exploit at last the full power of our collective
      > >intellect through "scholarly skywriting" ­ a
      > >form of communication, he contends, for which
      > >our brains were pre-adapted a hundred thousand
      > >years ago, but that has been awaiting the online era for its
      > realisation.
      > >
      > >However, before we can exploit the potential of
      > >this new form of communication, he says, we
      > >first need to make all research OA ­ an obvious
      > >next step that has been within our reach since
      > >the onset of the online era, but that we have
      > >still failed to take. And until we do, he says,
      > >we are denying ourselves access to our full potential.
      > >
      > >If his OA advocacy is at times on the testy
      > >side, adds Harnad, this is not so much evidence
      > >of an intemperate nature as of a patience that
      > >has been sorely tried by the inordinate amount
      > >of time it is taking us to grasp what is already well within our reach.
      > >
      > >What cannot be denied is that Harnad has exerted
      > >a very powerful influence on the development of
      > >the OA Movement. To a great extent he is the
      > >person who has articulated the main issues, and
      > >it is he who has ­ obsessively perhaps ­ kept
      > >people's minds focused, both on why OA is
      > >essential, and how we can best, and most rapidly, achieve it.
      > >
      > >Moreover, as Harnad is keen to point out, in
      > >addition to archivangelising for the last
      > >thirteen years, he has also created and
      > >commissioned many of the concrete practical
      > >tools now being used in our faltering steps toward OA....
      >

      > Peter
      >
      > Peter Suber
      > Senior Researcher, SPARC
      > Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
      > Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College

      ----
      Zapopan Martin Muela Meza, MLS SUNY-Buffalo, B.A. UANL-Mexico
      PhD candidate, Dept. of Information Studies
      University of Sheffield, UK
      <http://www.shef.ac.uk/is/research/groups/lib/people.html >

      Member of the Copy/South Research Group
      <http://www.copysouth.org >

      Co-Editor for Mexico of E-LIS: E-prints of Library and Information Science
      <http://eprints.rclis.org/staff.html#mx >

      Member of the international network
      In Defence of Knowledge and Culture for All
      <http://www.porlacultura.net/modules.php?name=Idiomas&pa=showpage&pid=4 >

    • Gofrey Luyimbazi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        Dear Zap,

        I am developing course content for a Knowledge
        Management course for our Library and Information
        Science Bachelor's programme we are introducing next
        year.

        Kindly give me some ideas on what I should include.

        Luyimbazi Godfrey
        Kyambogo University
        Kampala, Uganda.

        now.
        http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
      • Zapopan Martin Muela-Meza
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
          Dear Gofrey,

          Thanks for the message. See, unfortunately KM is not "my favourite cup of
          tea" he he he so to speak.

          But our Indian colleague bhojaraju.g@... --whom I'm cc'ing-- has
          lots of experience on the matter, works on the subject and surely might be
          able to give a hint or two.

          Bhojaraju, please assist our friend.

          Good luck with your courses! and all the best in life to everyone!!! :-)))

          Zapopan

          ----
          Zapopan Martin Muela Meza, MLS SUNY-Buffalo, B.A. UANL-Mexico
          PhD candidate, Dept. of Information Studies
          University of Sheffield, UK
          <http://www.shef.ac.uk/is/research/groups/lib/people.html >

          Member of the Copy/South Research Group
          <http://www.copysouth.org >

          Co-Editor for Mexico of E-LIS: E-prints of Library and Information Science
          <http://eprints.rclis.org/staff.html#mx >

          Member of the international network
          In Defence of Knowledge and Culture for All
          <http://www.porlacultura.net/modules.php?name=Idiomas&pa=showpage&pid=4 >

          http://farechase.yahoo.com/
        • Heather Morrison
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
            There are some open access resources on Knowledge Management which
            you might wish to include.

            The Directory of Open Access Journals includes 7 titles on Knowledge
            Management, which you can find through this URL:
            http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=findJournals&hybrid=&query=knowledge
            +management

            An E-LIS search for "Knowledge Management" yields 1,220 items - see:
            http://eprints.rclis.org/

            hope this helps!

            Heather Morrison
            heatherm@...