Looting and destruction of Libraries

  • Teresa E. Pribil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
      Dear Members,

      I'm searching right now for my dissertation about the subject
      "Looting and Destruction of libraries and archives"
      especially focused on destruction in war times or destruction by people who try to delete the cultural heritage of a country.
      I'm a member of this yahoo-group since edition 140 and was wondering what was
      discussed about the looting of iraq`s national library. If you have some ideas or references I would be gratefull about a posting. I dont want to start a discussion about the pro and cons of this war but reffering to the library your opinion could be very usefull for me - to read about different views about that subject. Thank you very much.

      Teresa Pribil

    • chairman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
        My Dear Teresa

        I remember there is a report done by Ian Johnson two years ago about the Libraries situation in Iraq , also there is a UNESCO mission was done for the same matter... Please contact Ian and UNESCO.
        Ian email is:

        For me, during the invasion of Kuwait I prepared special issue about destruction of Libraries in Kuwait with Journal of Information Science, Please look for the journal issue in any library or approach the publisher...

        My Best Regards

        Dr. Shawky Salem      Fellow: CILIP       Member: ALA, CLA, ASIST
        Chairman, Alex Centre for Multimedia and Libraries ( A C M L)
        Professor, Information Technology, LIS Dep., Alexandria University & Arab Beirut University
        ACML H.Q. : 181-183 Ahmed Shawky St., Roushdy, Alexandria , Egypt.
        ACML Mail Post : P. O. Box 115 Al-Saray 21311, Alexandria, Egypt.
        Tel. Sec.: + (2 03)   5411741,   5411109,   5457352,    5453714
        Dir. 5445722        Fax 5411742         Mobile : + (2 012) 311 5336
        I'm searching right now for my dissertation about the subject
        "Looting and Destruction of libraries and archives"
        especially focused on destruction in war times or destruction by people who try to delete the cultural heritage of a country.
        I'm a member of this yahoo-group since edition 140 and was wondering what was
        discussed about the looting of iraq`s national library. If you have some ideas or references I would be gratefull about a posting. I dont want to start a discussion about the pro and cons of this war but reffering to the library your opinion could be very usefull for me - to read about different views about that subject. Thank you very much.

        Teresa Pribil

      • Antonella De Robbio
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
          Dear Maria Teresa

          With the assistance of the National Library and Documentation
          Centre, Unesco, IFLA and a number of Sri Lankan organisations
          formally established the Sri Lanka Disaster Management
          Committee for Libraries, Information Services and Archives
          [SL DMC for LISA].
          IFLA president Kay Raseroka is much involved in disaster
          libraries and war libraries
          http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla70/papers/142e_trans-Varlamoff_Plassard.pdf
          http://www.natlib.lk/web-1.htm

          Disaster preparedness
          http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/grip/pdf/tropical/bib-6.pdf

          The Australian study here
          http://www.nla.gov.au/nla/staffpaper/lyall1.html

          About Iraq libraries
          Iraqs libraries: what recovery from a national disaster beyond
          imagination?
          http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/sep2005/libs-s17_prn.shtml
          Library prevervation and conservation tutorial
          http://www.librarypreservation.org/mee/management/readiness.html

          See also at this Newark Public library site
          A Nation at War: Informed and Prepared
          http://www.npl.org/Pages/InternetResources/SubjectGuides/nationat.html

          http://www.solinet.net/preservation/leaflets/leaflets_templ.cfm?doc_id=118

          Disaster Planning For Libraries And Archives: Understanding The Essential
          Issues
          http://www.netpac.com/provenance/vol1/no2/features/lyall1.htm

          Cheers
          Antonella De Robbio