Africa Copyright Forum Conference

  • Gofrey Luyimbazi
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005

      Colleagues

      Kindly circulate this message about the Africa copyright Forum Conference taking place in Kampala , Uganda next month (November) from 28th – 30th . I am the publicity Secretary and I need the assistance of colleagues to publicize it.

      Thanks

      Godfrey Luyimbazi

      Kyambogo University.

      Africa Copyright Forum (ACF) Conference

      28-30 November 2005, Hotel Africana, Kampala

      The ACF Conference is a pan African event being organized by the Uganda Library and Information Association (ULIA) and the National Library of Uganda (NLU) and sponsored by the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA/ALP) and Commonwealth of Learning (COL). The conference whose theme is “Copyright & Access to Information” will highlight the important connection between copyright and education, research, innovation, publishing and the creative arts and protection of indigenous information. The ultimate goal is formation of an Africa Copyright Forum to promote an equitable copyright environment that permits wide access to Information.

      Participants are invited from copyright-related, or dependent, fields like education and training, distance education, libraries, law, creative arts, publishing, bookselling, authorship, civil society, the media, among others. Interested persons are advised to register early. Registration fee is only USD 60 or equivalent in Uganda shillings. Conference programme and registration information can be downloaded from http://www.nlu.go.ug/acfconf.htm

      Contacts:

      Tel. +256 41 233633, Fax +256 41 348625, Cell phone: +256 77 580287

      gkmulindwa@..., cbatambuze@...

    • Gofrey Luyimbazi
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005

        Dear Colleagues,

        Kindly circulate this message announcing the Africa copyright Forum Conference taking place in Kampala , Uganda next month (November) from 28th – 30th . I am the publicity Secretary and I kindly call upon your assistance to publicize it.

[...]

        gkmulindwa@..., cbatambuze@..., gluyimbazi@...

      • Zapopan Martin Muela-Meza
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2005
          Dear Godfrey,

          Congratulations for your conference. Please keep us posted of its
          developing.

          You know, accordingly, a colleague librarian (Jose Antonio Torres Reyes)
          and I assambled the following draft to criticise and challange not only
          the whole copyright system, but also the role of librarians and library
          associations acting as barriers and hinderers of information and knowledge
          access due to their adherence to copyright laws.

          Gorki wrote in his classic novel The Mother:

          "The true persons are meant to be
          those who take off the bandages
          which imprison people's reason"

          Likewise, maybe the true librarians would be those who break down to the
          foundations all the barriers (like the copyright system and its enforcer
          bishops) which imprison people's minds and keep them in the realms of
          ignorance and poverty. Or what do you think?

          Hope this pinch of honey would contribute to give another perspective to
          your pan-African debate dear Godfrey.

          A pleasure,

          Zapopan
          -----------
          "The copyright system and the copyright-enforcer librarians and library
          associations as the major barriers for the access of information and
          knowledge in libraries from poor countries"

          Moral authors: Zapopan Martín Muela-Meza, Sheffield, UK, and José Antonio
          Torres-Reyes, Granada, Spain
          Sheffield, UK & Granada, Spain, 06 July 2005 (2005070604004533)
          Contacts: zapopanmuela@... and joantreyes@...

          Are the access, cost, and availability barriers faced by school,
          university, and public librarians caused primarily by the Berne
          Convention, TRIPS, and the WIPO Copyright Treaty, as well as by domestic
          copyright law?

          Yes, the access, cost, and availability barriers faced by school,
          university, and public librarians are caused primarily by the Berne
          Convention, TRIPS, and the WIPO Copyright Treaty, as well as by domestic
          copyright law.

          1. The general positions of the majority of librarians and library
          associations, both at national and international levels, seek to maintain
          a “fair” balance among the moral authors, publishers and society through
          copyright laws.

          2. But there is not a fair balance through the existing worldwide
          copyright laws around the world as they have been enforced since the
          beginning Confronted against the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in
          its Article 27 such laws clash into unavoidable contradictions. On one
          hand this article states:

          “*Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the
          community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and
          its benefits. *Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and
          material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic
          production of which he is the author.”

          3. But on the other hand, all the laws around the world consider as
          copyright holders not only to the moral authors who produce any
          scientific, literary or artistic works, but also to any other third
          parties who are not the moral authors, such as publishers, companies,
          corporations, institutions, etc.

          4. Furthermore, not everyone has the right freely to participate in the
          cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in
          scientific advancements and its benefits, in the particular case through
          libraries. This is so because due to the existing copyright laws around
          the world, only those libraries which can afford to pay copyright
          loyalties to third parties others than the moral authors, can actually
          disseminate the cultural works through information and knowledge materials
          such as books, journals, magazines, etc.
          5. Thus, Berne Convention, TRIPS, the WIPO Copyright Treaty and domestic
          copyright laws around the world are infringing the Universal Declaration
          of Human Rights in its Article 27. That is, a UN based body such as WIPO
          is overtly infringing another UN body such as the Office of the United
          Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.

          6. Therefore, all those librarians and library associations seeking for a
          balance among moral authors, publishers (and the rest of third parties
          which commercially exploit the moral author’s works), and society, in its
          form of library users, are also part of the barriers copyright laws
          present to access to information and knowledge through libraries. By
          seeking to keep a fair balance in the copyright system as it is now they
          are per se seeking to maintain the inherent contradictions of such a
          system.

          7. But what librarians and library associations should do instead is to
          seek for the ways to put an end to the contradictory character of the
          copyright system. They should seek to guarantee moral author’s to enjoy
          the whole benefits of their works. They should seek to guarantee that
          society, in its form of library users, has a free, free of charge,
          unhampered, and socially equal access to information-knowledge through
          libraries. In this case, authors should agree with this library’s mission
          and not to charge taxes to libraries any time they lend books to users.

          8. For example this is now the case with the European Commission Directive
          of 1992 where all European libraries should charge 1.00 Euro any time a
          user borrows a book. This is so because the third party copyright holders,
          others than the moral authors, they not only do not allow reprographic
          services which infringe “their” copyrights, but also they still are
          building higher walls as barriers to access to information and knowledge
          in libraries. The recently notorious example is the book of the Colombian
          Nobel laurate of literature, Gabriel García Márquez, Memorias de mis putas
          tristes (Memoirs of my sad whores). The book is published by Ramdom House,
          Colombia, the publishing division of the German multinational corporation
          Bertelsmann. The publisher, acting as a third party copyright holder of
          the actual moral author, not only states on the title page of the book
          that all rights are reserved and that not a single part of the book could
          be reproduced by any means, but also goes further stating that the book
          should be either lent in any public institution such as libraries. Only by
          the authorization of the author or by paying extra taxes to the copyright
          holder.

          9. Some librarians are fighting against such extra taxes publishers acting
          as copyright holders are charging against libraries in Europe. But while
          that fight seems plausible, at the same time, on the broadest picture,
          they do not fight to put an end to the bigger contradictions of the
          copyright system such as those explained above. They do not even correlate
          them as barriers to the access of information and knowledge in libraries.

          10. Thus librarians should join forces with other groups in society to
          fight to put an end to the contradictions in the copyright system, by
          genuinely guaranteeing the enforcement of the Article 27 of the Universal
          Declaration of the Human Rights. Both, on the general broadest levels and
          at the library levels as well.
          ------------------------------
          -------------------------------
          --- In lib-info-society@yahoogroups.com, Gofrey Luyimbazi
          <gluyimbazi@...> wrote:

          > Dear Colleagues,
          >
          > Kindly circulate this message announcing the Africa copyright Forum
          Conference taking place in Kampala, Uganda next month (November) from 28th
          – 30th . I am the publicity Secretary and I kindly call upon your
          assistance to publicize it.

          > Thanks
          >
          > Godfrey Luyimbazi
          >
          > Kyambogo University.
          >

          > Africa Copyright Forum (ACF) Conference
          >
          > 28-30 November 2005, Hotel Africana, Kampala
          >

          > The ACF Conference is a pan African event being organized by the Uganda
          > Library and Information Association (ULIA) and the National Library of
          > Uganda (NLU) and sponsored by the International Federation of Library
          > Associations and Institutions (IFLA/ALP) and Commonwealth of Learning
          > (COL). The conference whose theme is “Copyright & Access to Information”
          > will highlight the important connection between copyright and education,
          > research, innovation, publishing and the creative arts and protection of
          > indigenous information. The ultimate goal is formation of an Africa
          > Copyright Forum to promote an equitable copyright environment that
          > permits wide access to Information.
          >
          > Participants are invited from copyright-related, or dependent, fields
          > like education and training, distance education, libraries, law,
          > creative arts, publishing, bookselling, authorship, civil society, the
          > media, among others. Interested persons are advised to register early.
          > Registration fee is only USD 60 or equivalent in Uganda shillings.
          > Conference programme and registration information can be downloaded from
          > http://www.nlu.go.ug/acfconf.htm
          >
          > Contacts:
          >
          > Tel. +256 41 233633, Fax +256 41 348625, Cell phone: +256 77 580287
          >
          > gkmulindwa@..., cbatambuze@..., gluyimbazi@...
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for
          > FREE with Yahoo! Photos. Get Yahoo! Photos

          Zapopan Muela
          ----------------------------- v -------------------------------
          "Tiranos y autócratas han entendido siempre que el alfabetismo,
          el conocimiento, los libros y los periódicos son un peligro
          en potencia. Pueden inculcar ideas independientes e incluso
          de rebeldía en las cabezas de sus súbditos.
          ----------------------------- v -------------------------------
          "Tyrants and autocrats have always understood that literacy,
          learning, books and newspapers are potentially dangerous.
          They can put independent and even rebelious ideas to the heads
          of their subjects."
          ----------------------------- v -------------------------------
          -- Sagan, Carl (1997). The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle
          in the Dark : El mundo y sus demonios: La ciencia como una luz en la
          oscuridad. México: Planeta, p. 390; New York: Ballantine Books, p. 362.

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Antonella De Robbio
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2005
            Dear Friends,
            it would be important give opportune diffusion to the
            Geneva Declaration on the Future of the World Intellectual Property
            Organization which is a document proposed on Oct 2004 to the
            General Assembly of the WIPO in order to adopt a proposal offered
            by Argentina and Brazil, the "Proposal for the
            Establishment of a Development Agenda for WIPO"
            http://www.cptech.org/ip/wipo/genevadeclaration.html
            http://www.soros.org/initiatives/information/news/wipo_20040929

            Here you can find the CML IFLA position
            http://www.ifla.org/III/clm/CLM-GenevaDeclaration2004.html

            Furthermore I want suggest the Manifesto on WIPO and the future of IP.
            In this Manifesto, Professor Boyle claims that there are systematic errors
            in contemporary intellectual property policy and that WIPO has an
            important role in helping to correct them.
            http://www.law.duke.edu/journals/dltr/articles/2004dltr0009.html

            Following On 3-4 February 2005, more than 60 academics, researchers and
            scientists, software developers, diplomats, librarians, consumers and
            representatives of disability and other public interest groups from north
            and south gathered in Geneva to discuss the WIPO Development Agenda and a
            draft Treaty on Access to Knowledge (A2K).

            During the last CML IFLA sessions in Oslo in August 2005 we have discussed
            about the Agenda WIPO and about the library principles
            Here you can find the final report
            http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla71/clm-councilRep2005.html
            In these days is working the WSIS in Tunis where the role of UNESCO inside
            WIPO will be strategic also in order to propose the librarian core
            principles
            The principles elaborate on four main goals:

            Goal 1: A robust and growing public domain to provide new opportunities
            for creativity, research, and scholarship.

            Goal 2: Effective library programs and services as a means of advancing
            knowledge.

            Goal 3: High levels of creativity and technological progress resulting
            from individual research and study.

            Goal 4: Harmonization of copyright.

            Also during the last 33rd General Conference at UNESCO in Paris we have
            discussed some Draft Resolution on copyright inside the debates of the V
            commission concerning communication and information.

            Please, keep us informed about African conference on copyright so we could
            also in Europe give all news about this important issue.

            Cheers
            Antonella De Robbio
            Task Force on Copryright for Italian Conference of University Rectors
            Italy
            University of Padua

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2005
              Hi Friends

              here a my work about right to access to knowledge
              De Robbio, Antonella (2002) Right to access to contents versus
              intellectual property rights in the Global Information Infrastructure
              [English version published in the Conference Proceedings]
              Proceedings International Conference Electronic Resources:
              Definition, Selection and Cataloguing, pp. 353-368, Rome, Italy.
              http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00000162/01/ER-roma-eng.rtf

              all the best
              Antonella De Robbio