Fwd: [Upd-discuss] Copyright has no purpose

  • Zapopan Martin Muela-Meza
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2004
      [From Richard Stallman, Union for the Public
      Domain list]
      ---------------------------------------
      From: "Richard Stallman" <rms@...>
      To: "Union for the Public Domain"
      <upd-discuss@...>
      Subject: [Upd-discuss] Copyright has no purpose
      Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:25:48 -0500

      The UNCTAD Expert Meeting on Free and Open
      Source, which
      was held in
      Geneva in September 2004, was graced by a visit
      by Lucinda
      Jones,
      Senior Legal Officer of the copyright department
      of WIPO.
      She made a
      most amazing statement:

      Copyright does not have a purpose.

      Lest people misunderstand, I should explain that
      Ms Jones
      did not mean
      to say that copyright is pointless, or that the
      companies
      behind
      recent extensions of copyright power have no
      purpose in
      mind. What
      she meant was that the public should not ask that
      copyright
      serve any
      particular purpose, and particularly not a
      purpose for the
      good of
      society.

      Ms Jones asks us to think of copyright as
      something that
      simply
      exists, the way earthquakes and hurricanes exist.
      It is
      beyond
      question, so we are supposed to accept the
      restrictions of
      the
      copyright system--both the present ones, and the
      new ones
      that
      megacorporations regularly ask for--without
      question.

      In other words, WIPO says, "Don't ask us to
      justify
      copyright policy,
      just submit."

      =====