Baie-Comeau 5-3 Moose: Missed chances!

  • terry_hawes2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2002
      Here's my report from the Thursday night game at Metro Centre:

      It was one of those nights where the bounces did not fall the way of
      the Halifax Mooseheads.

      The Herd played a game worthy enough to take at least one point but a
      combination of rare poor goaltending from Dany Dallaire and a failure
      to convert scoring chances ultimately was the difference.

      Halifax hit the post twice and the crossbar on two other chances but
      the visitors simply fired on all cylinders when it counted.

      A good start though just two minutes in as a low percentage effort
      from Derrick Kent at the side of the faceoff circle somehow deflected
      in off the shoulder of goaltender Ghyslain Rousseau.

      But captain Robbie Sutherland took a slashing penalty just a minute
      later and the big line for the Drakkar were out in full force. They
      got a fortunate bounce as the Herd failed to clear the zone and after
      a couple of whacks by Yanick Lehoux and Charles Linglet it was the
      latter who converted for his 49th of the year.

      They were now upping the tempo and had two good chances to score but
      Lehoux was stopped on a partial breakaway and rookie Louis-Philippe
      Martin's attempted shot was turned aside on a beautiful poke check by

      Lehoux was the beneficiary of another poor effort from Dallaire at
      19:11. Lehoux controlled the puck at the side of the net and caught
      the goaltender partially out of position which left him to knock the
      puck in off Dallaire's stick for the goal.

      The home side stepped things up in the middle stanza and could have
      tied the game but Brandon Benedict rattled the post with a shot. Soon
      after it was a loose puck found the stick of Pascal Pelletier and he
      lifted the disk over Dallaire's outstretched shoulder to make it 3-1.

      Halifax were gifted a two man advantage midway thru as Thierry
      Douville and Scott O'Connor took penalties. In an unlucky sequence
      both Jason King and Louis Mandeville hit the cross-bar much to the
      dismay of the crowd.

      Soon the Drakkar had the 5 on 3 and as expected the result was
      different as Lehoux had all the time in the world to step in and
      rifle a shot over Dallaire's left shoulder for his second and a 4-1

      Against the run of play the Herd came right back with a shorthanded
      goal. This time they got the bounce as the Drakkar defenceman missed
      the puck and the rushing Louis-Philippe Lessard got to it and blasted
      the shot past Rousseau to at least keep them in the game. But even
      the PA announcer made a muff of who scored (Jean-Philippe

      The game was effectively over however just 1:10 into the third when a
      blind pass from Linglet at the side of the net found Benoit Mondou
      and he fired low thru the five hole to make it 5-2. Dallaire's night
      was done and so was the Herd's chances of coming back though they
      made a spirited effort late on.

      Giulio Scandella picked up a loose puck for his 8th goal with under
      seven minutes remaining but Rousseau didn't give up any more and the
      Drakkar went home with the W.

      Yanick Lehoux, Baie-Comeau forward:

      'They had some really good chances but Rousseau made some good saves
      for us and they weren't able to score,'

      'We did a good job to kill their five-on-three and then we scored on
      our chance, which ended up being the winning goal, and that changed
      the game.'

      Michael Couch, Halifax defenceman:

      'We're frustrated because I think we defeated ourselves more then
      they defeated us,'

      'We've got some time off coming up and everybody knows that we need
      it. The players need it and the coaching staff needs it so we'll take
      a few days off and regroup and get mentally fresh,'

      'Four games are left in the season and we want to send a message to
      the league that we're a team to reckon with in the playoffs.'

      [Game quotes from the Chronicle-Herald newspaper.]