[LGBT LATINO MEDIA]: [BREAKING NEWS]: ALLGO BECOMES FIRST AND ONLY STATEWIDE UEER PEOPLE OF COLOR ORGANIZATION IN THE COUNTRY

  • Monica Taher
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      This is an update from GLAAD's LGBT Latino Media Activist list.
      Este es un avance noticioso de la lista LGBT Latina de GLAAD.
      DO NOT REPRODUCE WITHOUT CITING THIS SOURCE.

      Press Release

      February 1, 2006
      Contact: Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano
      512.472.2001 Cell 512.791.8752
      For Immediate Release

      ALLGO BECOMES FIRST AND ONLY STATEWIDE QUEER PEOPLE OF COLOR

      ORGANIZATION IN THE COUNTRY

      Austin, TX- ALLGO, the longest-standing Queer People of Color
      Organization in the country, announces today that it will become the
      country�s first and only statewide organization of its kind.

      With a community tired of knocking on their own families� door to no
      avail, ALLGO is ready to create a support network of queer people of
      color and allies. The support network will work against diverse
      issues that affect queer people of color including economic and
      environmental justice, violence, reproductive rights, marriage
      discrimination, HIV/AIDS policies among many others.

      �With over 20 years in existence, we are now thrilled to expand our
      work in a way that furthers our vision by working collectively and
      proactively to ensure that our voices are reflected in the vision,
      ideology, messaging and strategies of the LGBT Movement in Texas and
      across the country.� says Priscilla Hale, LMSW, ALLGO�s Executive
      Director.

      ALLGO will carry out its work through four major programming strands:
      - Queer People of Color and Allied Network. ALLGO will work to
      create, support and sustain alliances among diverse activists, groups
      and organizations across Texas.

      - Action Teams. The teams will be a collective force ready to
      respond efficiently to issues affecting our communities locally,
      regionally and on the statewide level.

      - A Cultural Arts Program. Building on its existing award-
      winning cultural arts programming, ALLGO will work towards fostering
      spaces where artists and diverse communities engage in mutual growth,
      sharing and understanding through the arts.

      - Annual Summit. ALLGO will work with organizers across the
      state to coordinate annual summits aimed at bringing queer people of
      color activists and allies together to build relationships,
      strategize and support each other�s efforts.

      �A statewide queer people of color organization will allow those of
      us working on the local level to� be a part of a statewide dialogue
      around issues important to our communities,� says Fernando S�nchez,
      Board President of Valiente DFW LGBT Latino Alliance.

      ALLGO�s efforts will formalize the response to the needs of
      individuals who face different forms of injustice simultaneously and
      will work diligently and strategically throughout 2006 to ensure that
      this major transition is successful and inclusive. For further
      information and/or to sign up for ongoing updates, visit
      www.allgo.org, or call (512.472.2001) or e-mail (lorenzo@...)
      Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano, ALLGO�s Director of Arts and Community
      Building.
      # # #

      Este avance le ha sido enviado por la lista LGBT Latina de GLAAD.
      Para dejar de recibir los avances, corresponda este correo con la
      palabra "remover."