Re: [lexington] Teppanyaki restaurant experience

  • Eric Eid-Reiner
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hello!
      The two times I've had dinner there have been wonderful! We had to wait a
      bit longer than we would have liked for our chef to come out (the first time
      was about an hour, though it was in their first days; the second time, we
      had a chef come then realize he was at the wrong table) However, I found
      the show to be great and really enjoyed all the knife tossing, the volcano,
      the humor, etc. I thought the portions were quite generous, though it's
      true that the salads aren't that big. While the only vegetarian entree is
      vegetables, it's really really good, and I loooovve their fried rice, too!!!
      Nice miso soup. Highly recommended (though not if you're in a rush)!

      Best,
      Eric Eid-Reiner

      On Dec 31, 2007 9:34 PM, Charles Lamb <charles.lamb@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > We got the volcano built from onions when we went to Teppanaki. Sorry
      > you missed the show.
      >
      > Charles Lamb

    • Harry Forsdick
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        Steve,

        It sounds to me that you experienced them on a perfect bad storm situation:
        New Year's Eve & New Employee. It didn't help that the manager blew it in
        her response to your complaint.

        I have not been there, but have heard from others that they thought it was
        overpriced.

        Perhaps a visit on anther non-weekend night, letting the manager know that
        you had a bad time before might help next time. I also suspect this is the
        kind of place where going with a group is better than going with just your
        SO.

        If I go, I'll let you know how it goes.

        -- Harry

        --
        Harry Forsdick
        781.861.6149 (home) | 781.799.6002 (cell) | http://www.forsdick.com |

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          I have to say that I've been there for lunch twice for business and once for
          dinner with my extended family and had a wonderful time. I also think you
          need to give a restaurant the benefit of the doubt at the early stage;
          especially a Lexington restaurant, where we REALLY want them to stay in business if
          at all possible!

          That's not to excuse what truly seems like poor service as noted below, but,
          having had three very good experiences there, I'm delighted to go back and
          have recommended the restaurant to several friends.

          --
          Harry Forsdick
          781.861.6149 (home) | 781.799.6002 (cell) | _http://www.forsdickhttp_

        • Jesse Segovia
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
            We've been there three times since it's opened, most recently for my
            daughter's birthday, and each time was a great experience. The chefs
            have been personable and have put on a great show, and the food has been
            excellent. The prices, especially on the lunch menu, are very
            reasonable.

            I'm sorry you had a less than pleasant experience there, but I'd give
            the place another chance.

            Jesse

          • Steve Isenberg
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
              (Forwarded to the group at Gini's request)

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                I ate there and didn't get the show. I also agree that the food was not as
                flavorful as I would have hoped. I don't think I ate everything so portion
                size was not an issue for me. I would go back to see if I had an off night
                or not and I would make sure I ordered the fried rice this time, but my
                expectations would be lowered.

                --Irene

                _____

                On Dec 31, 2007 8:17 PM, Steve Isenberg <smisenberg@gmail.
                <mailto:smisenberg%40gmail.com> com> wrote:

                > Has anyone else had a bad experience at the new cook-in-front-of-you
                > restaurant located across from Vinny T's? Or a good experience?
                >
                > We just returned -- granted it's New Year's Eve -- and are not inclined to
                > go back.
                > This is the kind of restaurant that cooks the food in front of you, with
                > plenty of shenanigans, fooling around, and showing-off. Or at least that's
                > what I was expecting. For our visit, the cook fixed the food without any
                > show whatsoever. As we heard other tables yelling and applauding, this guy
                > (young, tall, thin) cooked like he was cooking the food in the kitchen.
                > Never said "hi" to us. Plus he gave larger portions of food to the people
                > on his left -- note that you should sit to the left of the cook if you're
                > concerned about portion size. Portions were small especially considering
                > the price, food was average. The hot mustard, not all that hot, made the
                > food taste reasonable.
                >
                > When I brought this up to a waiter, he said he'd be right back, implying
                > he'd tell someone or do something. Nothing happened.
                > When I brought this up to the manager, a woman named Jackie, she
                > apologized saying he was new, only been there 2 days. So she offered me a
                > 15% discount on my next visit.
                > Pretty lame IMHO.
                > (The place was really crowded, so I guess she doesn't really care whether
                > I come back or not.)
                >
                > (Salad was about as small as a salad could be and still be called a
                > salad. Soup was hot and tasty, though. I ordered the chicken and shrimp --
                > chicken had little flavor, shrimp was good. My SO ordered steak -- done
                > well, although she'd asked for medium; relatively tasteless.)
                >
                > We've visited the Tokyo in Salem NH, a similar type of restaurant.
                > Portions are much larger, cooking is consistently a good show (including a
                > volcano built from onions), worth a visit. If you're looking for this kind
                > of dinner I'd recommend them over Teppanyaki, if you don't mind the drive.
                >
                > Anyone else have a similar experience? Or an especially good one?

              • Davey
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
                  We've been there five times already (3 hibachi, 2 chinese/sushi) and
                  have really enjoyed it each time. I'd agree that the hibachi is a bit
                  pricey, but the chefs are always entertaining. The chinese food was
                  really good the few times we tried it (way better than the
                  alternatives in Lexington). I'd suggest giving it another try ...
                  good luck!

                  Dave
                • Bill Dunn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Interesting, I too was there on New Year's Eve and had
                    a similar experience, and from your description would
                    guess that we had the same chef as you as well (I will
                    refrain from using names, but will just say that there
                    was some slight irony with his name given his
                    "performance"). It was our second time there; both
                    times had the same waiter but with different
                    chefs...our first experience was a lot more fun. The
                    waiter might have been new as well, but his skills
                    have not improved much since the last time we were
                    there (about a month ago). On New Years he gave my
                    *warm* Saki but forgot to give me a glass and by the
                    time he finally got one to me, my Saki was room
                    temperature. In his defense, however, they might have
                    just been understaffed.

                    My first experience still outweighs my most recent,
                    and would be willing to eat there again.

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs