Leaves

  • ferrett99
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      We should encourage and educate on the values of composting. Anyone who has
      a yard big enough to make leaves a problem, has room for a compost pile.
      Why spend time and money to haul all those nutrients to Hartwell Ave.?

      For those who object to a compost pile, a mulching mower would soon pay for
      itself.

      Dorrie Traficante
      Precinct 9
    • Jon Dreyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        --- In lexington@yahoogroups.com, "ferrett99" <FERRETT99@p...> wrote:
        > We should encourage and educate on the values
        > of composting. Anyone who has
        > a yard big enough to make leaves a problem,
        > has room for a compost pile.
        > Why spend time and money to haul all
        > those nutrients to Hartwell Ave.?
        >
        > For those who object to a compost pile,
        > a mulching mower would soon pay for
        > itself.

        Absolutely!

        I don't know how many people tell me they have been scared away from
        keeping a compost pile because it's so complicated. They read all this
        junk about layering just the right amount of grass clippings, leaves,
        and kitchen scraps and decide they don't have time for that. Who can
        blame them?

        My motivation for keeping a compost pile is to keep as much junk as I
        can out of landfills and the harbor. If I can get any useful compost
        (which I do) so much the better. I just dump in pretty much any waste
        vegetable matter I can find.

        My approach to leaves is to mow over them a few times. In some spots
        that's all I need; the soil has some new organic matter. In the spots
        where the leaves are deep enough to smother the grass, I rake some up
        and dump them (already mulched by the mower) into the compost or rake
        the leaf mulch directly into the garden. I never understood why people
        raked all their leaves away in the fall and then paid for bark mulch
        in the spring!