Limbaugh Quits ESPN Job After Comments Spark Uproar

  • Harry Forsdick
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
      I think regardless of your political persuasion, comments like Rush
      Limbaugh's cannot be tolerated. Good for you, Sports Guys, for running
      this guy out of town.

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story
      <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20031002/ts_n
      m/media_limbaugh_dc_4> &cid=578&u=/nm/20031002/ts_nm/media_limbaugh_dc_4

      Relevance to Lexington? Check out:

      http://www.mcskins.com/music/c/teach.html

      Regards,

      Harry
    • Jed Snyder
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
        Harry
        For once I agree with you but just wish everyone would apply the same
        standards. The high standard nearly always seems to be applied by the
        one side toward the other side while their people who violate the same
        standard are permitted a pass.
        M2cw
        Jed Snyder

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
          Here's the URL without returns in it (I hope):
          http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20031002/ts_nm/media_limbaugh_dc_4

          It doesn't seem that ESPN was going to do anything about firing Limbaugh
          until after it became a big deal:
          "on Wednesday, ESPN said Limbaugh had been scolded for his comments but
          gave no indication that his job as was in jeopardy"

          Even more interesting, why did ESPN hire this guy in the first place?
          According to ESPN, "hired ... to offer a counterpoint to commentary
          from the program's three regular analysts." I guess this is
          superficially similar to Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football. But
          Limbaugh's neo-conservative views are well-known. What kind of
          "counterpoint" did they hope to engender here? Did they feel he could
          restrain himself from the type of oblique personal attacks he makes on
          his show? Did they think he'd quote some obscure literary and historical
          sources like Dennis Miller?

          Jerry

          Harry Forsdick wrote on 10/2/2003, 6:58 AM:

          > I think regardless of your political persuasion, comments like Rush
          > Limbaugh's cannot be tolerated. Good for you, Sports Guys, for running
          > this guy out of town.
          >
          > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story
          > <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20031002/ts_n
          > m/media_limbaugh_dc_4> &cid=578&u=/nm/20031002/ts_nm/media_limbaugh_dc_4
          >
          > Relevance to Lexington? Check out:
          >
          > http://www.mcskins.com/music/c/teach.html
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Harry

        • Jon Dreyer
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
            > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20031002/ts_nm/media_limbaugh_dc_4

            Wow, this may be the only time I lean farther to the right
            than Jed!

            The last time I heard Rush Limbaugh, which was years ago, I
            thought he was a third-rate comedian, though at that time he
            was posing as a first-rate news commentator. I'm no fan of
            his, and I wish Al Franken well. I also don't follow
            football, and have no opinion on whether the media was
            actually pumping up McNabb because they wanted a black
            quarterback to succeed.

            Nevertheless, those of us who promote affirmative action
            (and I often do) cannot pretend that affirmative action will
            never go too far. If we want the right to cry foul when
            whites are given unfair advantage due to racism, we also
            must accept the responsibility to cry foul when minorities
            are given unfair advantage due to over-affirmative action.

            Was the media's promotion of McNabb over-affirmative action?
            I have no idea, but I think Limbaugh had a right to express
            his opinion on the matter.

            Coincidentally, in today's Globe on page B2 (though
            apparently not on the Globe web site) there's a truly racist
            comment that _should_ have caused a firing (but which
            apparently did not). WEEI talk show host John Dennis was
            quoted as saying that the escaped Franklin Park gorilla was
            "probably a Metco gorilla waiting for a bus to take him to
            Lexington". I just turned on my radio and was disgusted to
            hear his voice still on the air.

            Jon Dreyer
          • Harry Forsdick
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
              Jon,

              When you say "and [I] have no opinion on whether the media was actually
              pumping up McNabb because they wanted a black quarterback to succeed"
              there seems to me to be the mistaken assumption that McNabb is the only
              black quarterback in the NFL. He isn't: there are at least 6 and many
              of them are quite successful.

              There is a very nice blog entry (http://tinyurl.com/pgan) on this
              subject, from which I quote:

              "Ever since Doug Williams took the previously hapless Tampa Bay Bucs to
              their first NFC Title Game in 1979, black quarterbacks in the NFL have
              ascended very nicely. Randall Cunningham, who was Vick before there was
              a Vick, starred in Philly. Warren Moon came down from Canada, where he'd
              won something like six Grey Cups, and set passing records with the
              Houston Oilers that still stand today. His eventual successor with the
              Houston (now Tennessee) franchise, Steve McNair, has led the Titans to
              almost perpetual playoff contention and his franchise's first Super Bowl
              appearance. The aforementioned Doug Williams returned to NFL stardom
              with the Washington Redskins, led them to a rout of the Denver Broncos
              in the Super Bowl, and became the first black NFL quarterback to lead
              his team to a championship. Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick will be stars
              in the future, and there are many more great quarterbacks working their
              way up through the college ranks. Black quarterbacks do not need some
              kind of media affirmative action anymore. Their achievements are out
              there for everyone to see."

              In fact, there is an entire book devoted to the history of black
              quarterbacks in the NFL:

              http://tinyurl.com/pg97

              My point: If Rush Limbaugh had made the same statements about a wide
              receiver, he wouldhave sounded rediculous. The implied assumption that
              McNabb is the only black quarterback, lends some unwarrented credibility
              to Limbaugh's reasoning.

              So, to end this up with the appropriate style of talk among sports fans,
              I guess Al Frankin was right, Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot.

              Regards,

              Harry

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
                Harry,
                That may or may not be true about Limbaugh, but if you want to find
                "idiots" there is no paucity of them, imho.

                Why pick on a conservative? Just because he is well-known?

                I "smell" a whole lot of duplicity and maybe some very real hypocrisy in
                so many of these attacks (designed imho to pump up ratings, sell
                advertisement and push an agenda.

                Jed Snyder

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
                  Jed Snyder wrote on 10/2/2003, 12:32 PM:

                  > Why pick on a conservative? Just because he is well-known?

                  There's no "conspiracy". Why pick on Rush? Because he's a
                  neo-conservative who's been proven to have made many statements that are
                  wrong or poorly researched or ideologicially-driven or all of the
                  above? Because he's simply well-known? These are all true, but the
                  reason this incident has caused more of a stir among people is that he
                  attempted to drag his style of discourse outside the political arena
                  into the more mainstream sports arena. He has a loyal following who
                  believes everything he shovels. I guess he and ESPN have found out that
                  there's not much overlap between Rush's fans and ESPN's viewers.

                  > I "smell" a whole lot of duplicity and maybe some very real hypocrisy in
                  > so many of these attacks (designed imho to pump up ratings, sell
                  > advertisement and push an agenda.

                  I agree with you on this one. ESPN's cynical attempt to boost ratings by
                  creating a talk radio sense of righteous debate backfired on them. And
                  as it should.

                  Jerry