Re: [lexington] Gaming advice, please?

  • Fawn Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
      Get them outside on a warmer day like tomorrow or Monday with a group of their friends for a fun game of Capture The Flag. Last time my son was home from college he posted it on Facebook and a bunch of his friends showed up at Kineen's Park even though we had a storm that night.
      -Fawn

      On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Katherine Pike <kpike1@...> wrote:

      Hi All,

      Anyone have a good recommendation for teen level game, that is NOT a first person shooter?

      Thanks.

      Kathy (tired of hearing about Black Ops & Zombies. . .)

      --
      Fawn Rosenberg, DMD, FAGD, PC
      Lexington Smile Studio

      (781) 861-SMILE (7645) (office)
      (781) 354-8888 (cell)
      (781) 240-0264 (fax)

      www.LexingtonSmileStudio.com

    • Susanne Shavelson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
        Hi Kathy,

        Our son (15) has Microsoft Flight Simulator (PC), which he loves. It's very realistic.
        Maybe there's one for your game system.

        --
        Susanne Shavelson

      • Katherine Pike

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2012
            I asked my LHS senior (who aspires to a career in this field) for help here and his response is below:

            Hey everyone,

            Josh Melnick here.

            I'm a 17 year old student at LHS, and I have been seriously interested in games for my entire life. Finding nonviolent games is an age old issue, and I have a couple goto responses for it.

            First would be Portal 2. Not only is it just a fantastic game, but it is actually an intellectual one that is almost universally appealing. I don't know anyone who has played Portal 2 and was either offended by it or didn't enjoy it. Additionally, it has a co-operative mode, so if you have two controllers, your kids could try playing it together.

            Second would be Rayman Origins. Rayman is basically a very goofy and cartoonish version of Mario, but the game is extremely well made and incredibly fun. It can also be played with up to four people, and there is no consequence for having more players, so it could be a fun game to play with even more of the family. I could see your daughter enjoying either Portal or Rayman.

            Third is going along the racing lines, Forza Horizions and Need For Speed: Most Wanted (this one http://i.imgur.com/Xcc9m.jpg , not this one http://i.imgur.com/ud5rW.jpg ) both came out recently and were received very well. I've heard lots and lots of good things about both of them, but my recommendation would be based on whether or not the kids can play the game online. If the majority of the playing will be offline, you should think about Forza Horizons, but if they can play online, Need For Speed is probably better.

            Hope this advice helps, and if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to flood my father's inbox with questions, I'm sure he'll be willing to pass them on to me.

            -Josh Melnick

            --- In lexington@yahoogroups.com, Katherine Pike <kpike1@...> wrote:

            > All great suggestions, all of them! Thank you so much. Love the Capture the
            > Flag idea (as it was always a game favorite of his ... outside is good and
            > will try that ... but wonder if there's actually a Capture the Flag for
            > xbox, too :)
            >
            > Will check out the games everyone has suggested. Thank you!!
            >
            > Kathy
            >
            > On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Susanne Shavelson <shavelson@...>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi Kathy,
            > >
            > > Our son (15) has Microsoft Flight Simulator (PC), which he loves. It's
            > > very realistic.
            > > Maybe there's one for your game system.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Susanne Shavelson