Re: [lexington] cell phone coverage

  • Henry Stevenson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1 3:50 AM

      Sharon,

      Strange that in this day and age that coverage for the big names in wireless would have dead zones or poor coverage in Lexington.  I live in the Burlington corner of Lexington and my Verizon phone has problems with the internet and email but is okay with phone calls.   Same problem in West Bedford near the Volkswagen dealership.  I can send and receive calls but the internet and email work poorly.     I had AT&T with no internet and email for a while but the calling was weak.  I had to hang out the window to talk!    Almost fell out a couple of times.

      I had Nextel phones for my job, the favorite of construction folks because of the walkie talkie feature but I could never get calls on in any of my job locations.  It was the strangest thing I ever saw.   As  I recall it was not too bad in Lexington.

      I hate to see Verizon get all the business as they seem to be taking over the world but they may still be your best bet!

      Good Luck!

      Henry Stevenson

    • L Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1 5:23 AM
        > Posted by: "Sharon Olofsson" olofsson@... sharonolofsson
        > Date: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:49 am ((PDT))
        >
        > I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, but as cell phones change so
        > frequently nowadays, I hope I can raise it again. I have been with Verizon for
        > years and desperately want to switch to another carrier. I understand that AT&T
        > has coverage issues in Lexington, or is that just for its iphone? How is
        > coverage for Sprint or T-Mobile? Any suggestions as to which carrier is best
        > around here?

        I recently switched to Virgin Mobile (which operates on the Sprint network, but without roaming) and have found no coverage problems.

        My old Sprint phone got terrible reception, but my new Droid works well in the same areas. I think phone technology has improved.

        I do like the Virgin plan. It's pay as you go, so you have to buy your phone, but from then on, monthly charges are very inexpensive. For $25/mo, I get 300 minutes of talk time (no complex calculations) plus unlimited text and data.

        --Liz
      • Theodora Martin
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1 7:01 AM
          Many of the major carriers have maps on their websites where you check block-by-block to see who has good coverage in your neighborhood. Our household has Sprint and Nextel, which are supposed to share networks, but the Sprint performs better than the Nextel.

          - Dori Martin
        • Robert Mela
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2 5:03 AM
            T-Mobile has coverage issues, but I do not know how widespread it is.   Overall it's fine, but there are two areas where I've had consistent problems.

            One spot includes Wilson Farms and Follen Church.    The area seems to be very limited -- the bike path behind Follen is fine, as is Mass Ave, and Peacock Farm Road is fine.

            A few years ago when I travelled Grove Street regularly by bicycle I found consistent complete outages at some points along Grove Street.   That was three years ago -- it's possible that that has changed.

            On Jun 30, 2011, at 12:48 PM, Sharon Olofsson wrote:

            I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, but as cell phones change so frequently nowadays, I hope I can raise it again. I have been with Verizon for years and desperately want to switch to another carrier. I understand that AT&T has coverage issues in Lexington, or is that just for its iphone? How is coverage for Sprint or T-Mobile? Any suggestions as to which carrier is best around here?

            Thank you,
            Sharon