RE: [lexington] Cops Put Brakes on Bike Protest

  • Jed Snyder
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      I am so glad this mechanized graffiti was stopped "dead in its tracks."
      We must be a society of free speech but free speak must not be permitted
      to trample on the rights of others. Had our graffiti writer found a
      private piece of property and gotten permission to broadcast his
      anti-bush venom then he would be cheered. But to write his graffiti on
      the streets of New York without a permit and then complain about being
      arrested is akin to being a "spoiled brat."

      Just my two cents worth.

      Jed

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        At 08:52 AM 9/1/2004, Jed Snyder wrote:
        >I am so glad this mechanized graffiti was stopped "dead in its tracks."
        >We must be a society of free speech but free speak must not be permitted
        >to trample on the rights of others. Had our graffiti writer found a
        >private piece of property and gotten permission to broadcast his
        >anti-bush venom then he would be cheered. But to write his graffiti on
        >the streets of New York without a permit and then complain about being
        >arrested is akin to being a "spoiled brat."
        >
        >Just my two cents worth.
        >
        >Jed

        Here's my problem with this.

        Basically, the guy was creating images on public sidewalks using chalk. If
        there had been a few kids out on the same sidewalk using sidewalk chalk
        (tell me this doesn't happen every nice summer day in NYC), the police
        wouldn't have even noticed. If an adult had been there drawing with the
        kids, same thing. If it had been all adults, then I think the police would
        have taken a look at what was going on. My guess: If it had nothing to do
        with the convention or was some sort of "Welcome Delegates" art, nothing
        would have happened; Had it been a protest piece, they would have been
        arrested.

        In a nutshell, it was his message ("anti-Bush venom") that caused the
        arrest, not the actual act of drawing on the sidewalks. That bothers me a lot.

        -jj
      • Jed Snyder
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
          JJ
          I guess your philosophy is many wrongs make more wrongs right? Besides I
          don't believe he was painting sidewalks. I think according to his web site,
          he was painting streets.

          Yes, freedom of speech should be encouraged. Creativity should be
          encouraged, but laws (regulations?) are made to be followed unless one is
          willing to accept the consequences. This guys complaint seems to be that
          the police made him follow the regulations. Duh???
          Jed

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
            Re: Your two cents worth,

            I wonder how much you would object to this venom if it were
            merely a product advertiseent.
          • JJ Krawczyk and Chris Adams
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
              At 01:00 PM 9/1/2004, Jed Snyder wrote:
              >JJ
              >I guess your philosophy is many wrongs make more wrongs right? Besides I
              >don't believe he was painting sidewalks. I think according to his web site,
              >he was painting streets.

              No, Jed, my philosophy is that there was nothing illegal in what he was
              doing and shouldn't have been arrested. Are you advocating going after
              children and confiscating their chalk??

              And he wasn't painting. If he was painting, I'd say they did the right
              thing. Just as they should do with a kid using a can of spray paint.

              >Yes, freedom of speech should be encouraged. Creativity should be
              >encouraged, but laws (regulations?) are made to be followed unless one is
              >willing to accept the consequences. This guys complaint seems to be that
              >the police made him follow the regulations. Duh???
              >Jed

              According to Wired, he was arrested for criminal mischief and criminal
              possession of graffiti instruments. However, New York City's web site
              states that the city's anti-graffiti laws pertain to aerosol spray paint
              cans, broad tipped markers, and etching acid. No mention of chalk. New
              York State law defines 4th-degree criminal mischief (the least serious) as
              intentional damage of at least $250. I don't think it costs that much to
              hose off the street, and they didn't catch him in the act in any case.

              What law was he breaking?

              Source: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nograffiti/html/legislation.html

              -jj