Re: [lexington] detering mice from eating car

  • Daniel Weinreb
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
      A friend of mine who has experience with mice suggests
      "Bitter Apple spray". -- Dan

      LauraC said the following on 2/28/2011 10:21 AM:

      > I was wondering if anyone had any tips about keeping mice out of our
      > cars. Our immediate neighbors have had several hundred dollars worth
      > of damage to each of their cars when mice chewed through wires and air
      > filters. There seems to be some damage to the dampening insulation
      > over the motor in one of our cars.
      >
      > We park our cars outside. One of our cars is driven frequently. The
      > other is occasionally used.
      >
      > We also have small children, so I'd rather not use poisons. I also
      > wonder how often one would have to apply scents, given that the
      > vehicles are outside. (I read that peppermint oil is a good deterrent.)
      >
      > I'd really love to hear any tips on this, especially since it may be a
      > safety issue!
      >
      > Take care,
      > Laura Cassenti

    • Annie McQuilken
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
        You can get this at pet stores. It's used to keep dogs from chewing on stuff, and it works!
        -Annie
        A friend of mine who has experience with mice suggests
        "Bitter Apple spray". -- Dan

        LauraC said the following on 2/28/2011 10:21 AM:

        > I was wondering if anyone had any tips about keeping mice out of our
        > cars. Our immediate neighbors have had several hundred dollars worth
        > of damage to each of their cars when mice chewed through wires and air
        > filters. There seems to be some damage to the dampening insulation
        > over the motor in one of our cars.
        >
        > We park our cars outside. One of our cars is driven frequently. The
        > other is occasionally used.
        >
        > We also have small children, so I'd rather not use poisons. I also
        > wonder how often one would have to apply scents, given that the
        > vehicles are outside. (I read that peppermint oil is a good deterrent.)
        >
        > I'd really love to hear any tips on this, especially since it may be a
        > safety issue!
        >
        > Take care,
        > Laura Cassenti

      • Laura Cassenti
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
          Excellent! Positive experience speaks volumes! I'll have to investigate it!

          Thanks,
          Laura

          On Mar 1, 2011, at 8:03 AM, Annie McQuilken <annie@...> wrote:

          > You can get this at pet stores. It's used to keep dogs from chewing on stuff, and it works!
          > -Annie

        • Ana Villalobos
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
            this is a major defense: make SURE to always leave your vents set on
            recirculate, NOT on fresh air when you leave the car parked. according
            to my trusty car surgeon who dealt with my own mouse issues, that's how
            they usually get into cars.
          • Martha Batten
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2011
              If we had a contest for best subject line of the year, I would nominate
              "detering mice from eating car." It is the early dark horse, or dark mouse.