Paris

  • Harry Forsdick
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4 8:37 AM
      My wife and I are traveling to Paris, leaving the end of September for 2
      weeks. We need your recommendations in three areas: Accommodations,
      Restaurants and Attractions -- your personal experiences of neat, little
      known places to see.

      We realize that Paris is expensive, but we would like to keep our expenses
      in check, so that we can travel other places in the future...

      1. Accommodations

      We are looking for an apartment to rent for this period. We would like be
      in Arrondissements 1-7 or in the neighborhoods of The Louvre, Marias, Latin
      Quarter, St. Germaine, Rue Cler/Eiffel Tower. In an ideal world, this would
      be in a building with character and amenities would include decent sized
      bed(s), access to washer and dryer, good Metro access. An internet
      connection would be great.

      Alternatively, reasonably priced hotel recommendations are appreciated.

      2. Restaurants

      We are looking for recommendations of moderate price restaurants as well as
      "utility" dining experiences.

      3. Attractions

      We know about the big attractions. What we are looking for are those out of
      the way places you have experienced which have left you with a good memory.
      Although our main focus will be Paris, we are also up for day trips or even
      overnight trips by public transportation to great places.

      I would appreciate any ideas you have mailed directly to me. I will collect
      all of the responses and post them, suitably anonimized, to a web page whose
      URL I will send back to those who respond.

      Please also feel free to send this to other people you know who might have
      insight on these topics.

      Thanks,

      Harry

      --------------------------------
      <http://www.forsdick.com/images/kerryedwards-sm.gif>

      Harry Forsdick
      781.861.6149 (home)
      781.652.8406 (work)
      781.799.6002 (cell)
      270.968.8136 (fax)
      http://www.forsdick.com <http://www.forsdick.com/>

    • Robert Coyne
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4 2:37 PM
        Harry,

        Joel Berman, owner of Berman's Liquor Store in E. Lexington has a daughter
        who rents apartments in Paris by the week. Give Joel a call. I'm sure it's
        a much better deal than a hotel.

        Bob Coyne
        > My wife and I are traveling to Paris, leaving the end of September for 2
        > weeks. We need your recommendations in three areas: Accommodations,
        > Restaurants and Attractions -- your personal experiences of neat, little
        > known places to see.
        >
        > We realize that Paris is expensive, but we would like to keep our expenses
        > in check, so that we can travel other places in the future...
        >

        > 1. Accommodations
        >
        > We are looking for an apartment to rent for this period. We would like be
        > in Arrondissements 1-7 or in the neighborhoods of The Louvre, Marias,
        Latin
        > Quarter, St. Germaine, Rue Cler/Eiffel Tower. In an ideal world, this
        would
        > be in a building with character and amenities would include decent sized
        > bed(s), access to washer and dryer, good Metro access. An internet
        > connection would be great.
        >
        > Alternatively, reasonably priced hotel recommendations are appreciated.
        >

        > 2. Restaurants
        >
        > We are looking for recommendations of moderate price restaurants as well
        as
        > "utility" dining experiences.
        >

        > 3. Attractions
        >
        > We know about the big attractions. What we are looking for are those out
        of
        > the way places you have experienced which have left you with a good
        memory.
        > Although our main focus will be Paris, we are also up for day trips or
        even
        > overnight trips by public transportation to great places.
        >

        > I would appreciate any ideas you have mailed directly to me. I will
        collect
        > all of the responses and post them, suitably anonimized, to a web page
        whose
        > URL I will send back to those who respond.
        >
        > Please also feel free to send this to other people you know who might have
        > insight on these topics.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Harry
        >
        > --------------------------------
        > <http://www.forsdick.com/images/kerryedwards-sm.gif>
        >
        > Harry Forsdick
        > 781.861.6149 (home)
        > 781.652.8406 (work)
        > 781.799.6002 (cell)
        > 270.968.8136 (fax)
        > http://www.forsdick.com <http://www.forsdick.com/>

      • Ellen McDonald
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4 2:49 PM
          My favorite place to stay iis Hotel des Marronniers on 21 rue Jacob. Great
          location just a block from the St. Germaine-des-Pres metro stop. Lots of
          charm and not too expensive (although you're gonna get whomped by the strong
          Euro...). Tel: 01 43 25 30 60

          It's not exactly "little known" but I never miss the chance to have a meal
          at the Musee d'Orsay restaurant. Most folks get caught up in the
          breathtaking art collection (start on the upper level or else you'll lose
          steam before arriving at the staggering Impressionist and Neo-Impressionist
          collection) and miss the gorgeous former hotel lobby setting. Great food.
          Great price.

          My only other food tip is to do what the Parisian "ladies who lunch" do and
          dine at the excellent restarant lunchrooms in the larger department stores
          (e.g., Galeries Lafayette).

          Ellen McDonald