RE: [lexington] One more plug for voting YES on the Override

  • Ann Redmon
    Message 1 of 58 , Jun 1, 2004
      In addition, I am coordinating sign holding for Precinct 1 (at Harrington
      School) for election day. If anyone is available and willing to hold a sign
      for an hour or two, please contact me at ann@...

      Thanks, Ann

      Ann Shildneck Redmon
      Lexington, MA
      Message 58 of 58 , Jun 2, 2004
        Proposition 2 1/2 is a stupid law. It is perhaps the ultimate
        unfunded mandate in a state that's full of them. That number
        came right out of nowhere and clearly makes no sense today,
        especially as the other unfunded mandates pile on. The right
        way to keep officials from spending too much is to vote
        overspending officials out of office, not to micromanage them
        with artificial budget limits. And the numbers I've seen don't
        look like overspending to me. They just happen to be over this
        silly arbitrary limit.

        Prop. 2 1/2 pits town government against the citizens who
        elected them. We just voted these people in! It's crazy to
        give them that show of support on election day and then revoke
        that support on override day. What kind of message are we
        sending them?

        Prop. 2 1/2 also makes us lousy employers and lousy stewards*
        of our town. I have a friend who almost didn't apply for a
        school librarian job in Winchester because she feared her job
        would disappear if the next override failed like the last one
        did. How do those cops and firefighters who we fired last year
        feel about us as an employer? Will they even come back? And if
        they do, will they put as much of their hearts into it as they
        did before, knowing that the whim of the electorate can send
        them packing again any time?

        But as long as Prop. 2 1/2 remains on the books, we will need
        to override it when necessary. Now is such a time.

        I feel like we need a George Bailey to stand up and say, "no
        Mr. or Ms. So-and-so, that $331.17** is not in your wallet,
        it's keeping our kids' classes small enough so they get some
        personal attention from their teachers!*** It's paying for
        Lexpress to provide mobility to folks in town who might
        otherwise not have it, like kids and, yes, seniors!**** It's
        paying for the DPW to clean our library! It's hiring police!
        Could any of us do that with $331.17?

        Taxes are not evil. It's a myth that each of us can use that
        $331.17 better than the town can. Economies of scale can even
        beat the inevitable inefficiency of bureaucracy. As Faith said
        so well, by pooling our resources through taxation, we make
        our community stronger. Taxation (by a representative
        government) means a little less "me" and a little more "us",
        which strikes me as noble. I can't think of anything better to
        do with that $331.17.

        Vote yes yes yes yes yes yes.

        Jon Dreyer
        http://www.pobox.com/~jdreyer/

        * I thank Tom Diaz for making many of us realize that the term
        "stewardship" applies in particular to our responsibility to
        our town as citizens.

        ** According to the Yes for Lexington web site
        (http://www.yesforlexington.org/) the override would cost a
        $614,000 house an extra $331.17 per year. I'm guessing
        $614,000 is the average assessment.

        *** I'm tired of hearing about the Teachers' union as the
        enemy. Sure they want to be paid more and we'd rather pay
        less, but often our interests line up, for example in desire
        for small class sizes. And every teacher I've met, from the
        best to the worst, wants nothing more than they want what's
        best for our kids. Though capricious Prop. 2 1/2 firings don't
        help there.

        **** I'm also tired, like many of us, of hearing about seniors
        as if they were a monolithic "No" bloc. My parents always
        voted in favor of Montgomery County, MD schools long after we
        kids had flown the coop. The result was that, when they needed
        to move out of their house for health reasons, their house was
        worth enough that the proceeds from the sale became an
        important retirement asset. Of course they didn't vote that
        way for selfish reasons, but they might as well have!

        P.S. I see "Yes" signs everywhere and very few "No" signs. I
        see "Yes" supporters all over this list and very few "No"
        supporters. I'm sure most of us see the same thing. This is
        _very_ encouraging! But let's not get complacent. My guess is
        that we lost last time out of complacency. So please
        everybody, vote, and make sure to get all your friends and
        neighbors to do the same. Friends don't let friends stay home
        on June 8. A victory is not guaranteed, and a victory by a
        wide margin would be nicer.

        Jon