Guildford

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      Could someone remind me what
      exactly CLD was doing in Guildford?
      I vaguely recall some sort of
      association.....(hope I'm right on
      that....). Just that it's only a
      short journey by train from where I
      live and I could always break my
      journey there on my next trip to
      London.
      Colin
    • mikeindex2001
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2004
        LC's father was rector of Croft-on-Tees, in Yorkshire, and his death
        in 1868 made the whole family effectively homeless since the rectory
        they had lived was needed for the next incumbent of the Parish. LC
        bought a house in Guildford, the 'Chestnuts', for his unmarried
        sisters and brothers to live in.

        He would stay there on family holidays, though often the place was
        so crowded he had to take up residence in a local hotel. Most
        notably, LC died at the Chestnuts, of pneumonia, on January 14 1868.
        In one of the back bedrooms.

        The house is still standing and has a blue plaque commemorating LC's
        tenantship.

        The Census for 1881 is available (I have a copy if anyone is
        interested) and lists the members of the Dodgson Guildfors household
        at that time. They seem to have employed a lot of maids to wait on a
        group of physically fit unmarried ladies with nothing much else to
        occupy them! Presumably they considered cleaning house to be beneath
        them.

        cheers
        Mike

        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <c.forcey@l...> wrote:
        > Could someone remind me what
        > exactly CLD was doing in Guildford?
        > I vaguely recall some sort of
        > association.....(hope I'm right on
        > that....). Just that it's only a
        > short journey by train from where I
        > live and I could always break my
        > journey there on my next trip to
        > London.
        > Colin
      • mikeindex2001
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2004
          correction of course - LC died in 1898, NOT 1868. Don't all write at
          once or the bandwidth will explode

          cheers
          Mike

          --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "mikeindex2001"
          <alphabeticalorder@m...> wrote:

          > LC's father was rector of Croft-on-Tees, in Yorkshire, and his
          death
          > in 1868 made the whole family effectively homeless since the
          rectory
          > they had lived was needed for the next incumbent of the Parish. LC
          > bought a house in Guildford, the 'Chestnuts', for his unmarried
          > sisters and brothers to live in.
          >
          > He would stay there on family holidays, though often the place was
          > so crowded he had to take up residence in a local hotel. Most
          > notably, LC died at the Chestnuts, of pneumonia, on January 14 1868.
          > In one of the back bedrooms.
          >
          > The house is still standing and has a blue plaque commemorating
          LC's
          > tenantship.
          >
          > The Census for 1881 is available (I have a copy if anyone is
          > interested) and lists the members of the Dodgson Guildfors
          household
          > at that time. They seem to have employed a lot of maids to wait on
          > group of physically fit unmarried ladies with nothing much else to
          > occupy them! Presumably they considered cleaning house to be
          beneath
          > them.
          >
          > cheers
          > Mike
          >

          > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <c.forcey@l...> wrote:
          > > Could someone remind me what
          > > exactly CLD was doing in Guildford?
          > > I vaguely recall some sort of
          > > association.....(hope I'm right on
          > > that....). Just that it's only a
          > > short journey by train from where I
          > > live and I could always break my
          > > journey there on my next trip to
          > > London.
          > > Colin
        • pleasanceone
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2004
            I think Mike's observation about the number of maids is interesting.
            Was there a customary number servants that the different levels of
            society were expected to have? For example, was a upper-middle class
            household (like that of Dodgson's sisters) expected to have, say, 5
            maids (one for each sister). And does anyone know what the Dodgson
            sisters DID do, besides remain unmarried? I did think they were
            perhaps involved with charities, but that is a guess.

            Cheers
            Deb :)

            > > The Census for 1881 is available (I have a copy if anyone is
            > > interested) and lists the members of the Dodgson Guildfors
            > household
            > > at that time. They seem to have employed a lot of maids to wait
            on
            > > group of physically fit unmarried ladies with nothing much else
            > > occupy them! Presumably they considered cleaning house to be
            > beneath
            > > them.
            > >
            > > cheers
            > > Mike
            > >

            > > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <c.forcey@l...>
            wrote:
            > > > Could someone remind me what
            > > > exactly CLD was doing in Guildford?
            > > > I vaguely recall some sort of
            > > > association.....(hope I'm right on
            > > > that....). Just that it's only a
            > > > short journey by train from where I
            > > > live and I could always break my
            > > > journey there on my next trip to
            > > > London.
            > > > Colin
          • Keith Wright
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2004
              Deb,

              the best way to see what they did is to read their obituaries, one of least
              I thought had been published on this list. If not I'll try and find it for
              you.

              They were quite busy with charity work which wasn't uncommon as they were
              not allowed to work in the 1880's except as a governess which none of them
              seemed inclined to do.

              Perhaps Mike could publish the census then we could all see how many maids
              they had?

              Keith W

              > I think Mike's observation about the number of maids is interesting.
              > Was there a customary number servants that the different levels of
              > society were expected to have? For example, was a upper-middle class
              > household (like that of Dodgson's sisters) expected to have, say, 5
              > maids (one for each sister). And does anyone know what the Dodgson
              > sisters DID do, besides remain unmarried? I did think they were
              > perhaps involved with charities, but that is a guess.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Deb :)
              >

              > > > The Census for 1881 is available (I have a copy if anyone is
              > > > interested) and lists the members of the Dodgson Guildfors
              > > household
              > > > at that time. They seem to have employed a lot of maids to wait
              > on
              > > > group of physically fit unmarried ladies with nothing much else
              > > > occupy them! Presumably they considered cleaning house to be
              > > beneath
              > > > them.
              > > >
              > > > cheers
              > > > Mike