Re: [lewiscarroll] Alice in China

  • Michele@TheRosenbergFamilies.Net
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 11, 2004
      My daughter currently lives and teaches in China. I will ask her to
      question her class if they are familiar with Alice and I will see if she
      can find a copy with a Chinese Alice.

      Michele Rosenberg

      Bryan Talbot wrote:

      >>That's intriguing Bryan! Are the illustrations Asian in the books you brought
      >>back? For example, does Alice have black hair?
      >

      > I'm afraid not - that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Both books also
      > have the story in English on alternate pages. The English versions are
      > simplified, but following the original. Rephrasing things, I suppose, for
      > easier comprehension. One has 8 sequential colour pages, reprints from THE
      > NURSERY ALICE. The other has a few tiny reprints (3/4" x 1 3/4") of some
      > Western illustrations that I don't recognise. One book has notes to explain
      > some of the English words (eg: "Mushroom: plant with no leaves that we can
      > eat").
      >
      > BTW, If anyone has any illustrations of Alice, cast in another race, I'd
      > love to see them. I've a book with one illo of a black Alice (holding the
      > flamingo) from an African edition.
      >

      >>And welcome back from your jaunt, too.
      >

      > Many thanks!
      >
      > Bryan
      >
      > _______________________________________________ http://www.bryan-talbot.com
      >
      > Nice prints! Visit:
      >
      > http://podgallery.com/talbot
      >
      > Brand new Luther Arkwright website!
      >
      > http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
      >

      > visit our homepage at:

    • Ralph Sims
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 11, 2004
        These might be of interest:

        Ailisi meng you xian jing translated by Mu-yun Huang and illustrated by
        Pai-qi Chen; published in 1958 and reprinted in 1965 (Hong Kong, Er Tong Le
        Yuan Ban Yue Kan)

        Ailisi meng you xian jing translated by Ming Xiu Cai with illutrations by
        Rose Art Studios (published by San Tong Books in 1983, Taipei)

      • Bryan Talbot
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2004
          > My daughter currently lives and teaches in China. I will ask her to
          > question her class if they are familiar with Alice and I will see if she
          > can find a copy with a Chinese Alice.

          Many thanks!

          Bryan

          _______________________________________________ http://www.bryan-talbot.com

          Nice prints! Visit:

          http://podgallery.com/talbot

          Brand new Luther Arkwright website!

          http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
        • Ann Burt Meyer
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2004
            Bryan,
            I'm not surprised and think it's a tribute to LC that his work stands,
            as is, in other cultures -- the iconography of the little blonde girl,
            the Cheshire cat, the Red Queen, the Knight and so on!! Cool!
            I loved the "Mushroom: plant with no leaves that we can eat"!
            The only "culture" change to Alice I can bring to my "senior moment"
            mind is Whoopie Goldberg's Alice, who is decidedly African American.
            There must be more....
            Ann

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12, 2004
              > The only "culture" change to Alice I can bring to my "senior moment" mind is
              > Whoopie Goldberg's Alice, who is decidedly African American.

              Wasn't she terrific as the CC? Goldberg and the guy who played Hatter were
              the highlights of that film.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2004
                Oh, so true, Bryan! But actually I had forgotten about that film. I
                meant Whoopie's children's book "Alice", published in 1992 by Bantam.
                It is NOT LC's text at all, of course, but uses some of the same
                characters,
                The jacket says: "Listen up--you're about to lose control on a
                topsy-turvy adventure with a girl named Alice, one very cool,
                semi-invisible rabbit, a card-playing misfit with some serious headgear
                and the wickedest queen you've ever seen!" A sort of "tales from the
                hood" version.
                My Alice collection is a tad esoteric. ;0)
                AnnOxford

                On Monday, April 12, 2004, at 05:34 AM, Bryan Talbot wrote:

                > > The only "culture" change to Alice I can bring to my "senior moment"
                > mind is
                > > Whoopie Goldberg's Alice, who is decidedly African American.
                >
                > Wasn't she terrific as the CC? Goldberg and the guy who played Hatter
                > were
                > the highlights of that film.
                >
                > Bryan

                > http://www.bryan-talbot.com
                >
                > Nice prints! Visit:
                >
                > http://podgallery.com/talbot
                >
                > Brand new Luther Arkwright website!
                >
                > http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
                >

                > visit our homepage  at:

                > to unsubscribe  send a blank email to:

                <image.tiff>

              • Bryan Talbot
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2004
                  > Oh, so true, Bryan! But actually I had forgotten about that film. I meant
                  > Whoopie's children's book "Alice", published in 1992 by Bantam. It is NOT LC's
                  > text at all, of course, but uses some of the same characters,

                  Thanks. Never saw that. I'll have to track it down.

                  Bryan

                  _______________________________________________ http://www.bryan-talbot.com

                  Nice prints! Visit:

                  http://podgallery.com/talbot

                  Brand new Luther Arkwright website!

                  http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
                • Audrie Brennan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12, 2004
                    Twas Martin Short who was the Hatter.  I possitively love that film!  I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and have learned every song sang, every dance danced, every joke told, etc. ^^
                    ~Audrie Brennan

                    Bryan Talbot <bryan.talbot@...> wrote:

                    > The only "culture" change to Alice I can bring to my "senior moment" mind is
                    > Whoopie Goldberg's Alice, who is decidedly African American.

                    Wasn't she terrific as the CC? Goldberg and the guy who played Hatter were
                    the highlights of that film.

                    Bryan

                    Nice prints! Visit:

                    http://podgallery.com/talbot