Mary Hilton Badcock as 'Alice'

  • Karoline Leach
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2003
      I have managed to find a bit of additional info about the source of this story. Lennon (p. 116) locates it  to 'A Handbook of the Literature of C.L. Dodgson' (1932) by S.H. Williams and Falconer Madan.

      Later on p. 305 of her book, Lennon returns to the subject and quotes Carroll's famous letter to Gertrude Thomson in which he says Tenniel DIDN'T use a model. She continues:

      "Does this mean that Mr. Madan was misinformed about Tenniel having broken his lifelong tradition? did he perhaps use only the photograph of Mary?  Yet Mr Madan who was in communication with Colonel Probert, Mar'y's husband,  seems quite certain that Tenniel went to Ripon to sketch her."

      Now, I might be mistaken, but I think I understand from this that the whole story of Dodgson recommending Mary HB to Tenniel seems to have originated, not with Dodgson, but with MARY'S family some years after his death. I wonder if this is correct. If so, it's quite interesting.

      I think it would be useful to take a look at the original 'handbook' entry.  I don't have a copy, so if anyone who does could perhaps send me the or  the list details of the relevant section I'd be immensely grateful.
      Thanks
      Karoline Leach