What Dodgson read

  • lysettenwar
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      Does anyone have a list of books found in Dodgson's library? I know
      there have been various discussions on works he read or owned and I
      was just wondering if anyone had compiled a list of such things.
      Thanks,
      Lysette
    • Ruth Berman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        "lysettenwar" <lysettenwar@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone have a list of books found in Dodgson's library? I know
        there have been various discussions on works he read or owned and I
        was just wondering if anyone had compiled a list of such things. <

        Not exactly. In 1997, Jeffrey Stern brought out a pamphlet called "Lewis
        Carroll Bibliophile: a study including a facsimile edition of the catalogue
        of the auction sale following C.L. Dodgson's death..." Published by White
        Stone, of Luton. A library might either have a copy, or be able to borrow a
        copy for you from another library. It isn't a complete list of the books
        Carroll owned -- the sale went in sections, and the auction lists weren't
        preserved for all the sections. So a book not listed might be one he owned
        anyway. (And, of course, he no doubt read some books that he didn't own and
        very likely didn't read some of the books that he did own.)

        He included mentions of what he'd read in his diary entries and sometimes in
        his letters, so that these are also useful for tracking such information.

        Ruth Berman
      • HLebailly@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2003
          Dear Lysette,
          being just back from holid ay, I read but today your posting regarding CLD's
          readings.
          I attach a document I sent to this list a few months (or even more than a
          year ? Time flies so fast !!!) ago that offers an exhaustive alphabetical list of
          all his radings mentioned in his (unabridged) diaries and (published) letters.
          In the hope in can still be of interest to you
          Hugues Lebailly
          Senior Lecturer in English
          Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne University
        • Karen Stahl
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 20, 2003
            I wanted to thank you for sending this list along - I have never seen
            anything quite like it, but had heard about the books he had on his
            shelves.

            This is great!

            -Karen

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2003
              Thank you so much for taking the time to sent your list. At most I
              had been expecting to find out what was on his bookshelves, but as we
              all have books we never get around to reading, your list is even more
              than I could have hoped.
              Lysette

              > Dear Lysette,
              > being just back from holid ay, I read but today your posting
              regarding CLD's
              > readings.
              > I attach a document I sent to this list a few months (or even more
              than a
              > year ? Time flies so fast !!!) ago that offers an exhaustive
              alphabetical list of
              > all his radings mentioned in his (unabridged) diaries and
              (published) letters.
              > In the hope in can still be of interest to you
              > Hugues Lebailly
              > Senior Lecturer in English
              > Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne University
            • Bryan Talbot
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 21, 2003
                Sorry about the short notice, but I've just had a call informing me that
                there's some kind of documentary about CLD on BBC2 tonight at 9.50 entitled
                "The Highest Bidder" - a reference to a recent auction.

                Bryan

                Nice prints! Visit:

                http://podgallery.com/talbot

                Brand new Luther Arkwright website!