Re: [lewiscarroll] Ripon photo album

  • keith
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2003
      Mike,

      Mason's list of images is not a well known list - I certainly had not heard of it.

      I attach it here so people can see who was included, not all were well known.  The book only had some of these, including one of Bickersteth which had been removed.  He is on the list as Bishop of Ripon.

      It is the posts they held which allows the book to be dated, Bishops would sign themselves as R. of Ripon etc. and by knowing when each took up his post and doing a chart of them it was possible to date the images to early 1859.

      I have checked with the people at Ripon and can release a couple of images.

      Hook, is an image of Walter Farquar Hook who was a charismatic Vicar of Leeds and probably the person who CLD's father was visiting when he wrote home that he would rouse all the shopkeepers in Leeds to find CLD what he wanted.  Hook was eventually Dean of Chichester.

      London is Archibald Campbell Tait who was Bishop of London at the time, later on he was Archbishop of Canterbury.  He was earlier on in his career CLD's headmaster at Rugby School.

      If anyone on the list knows of duplicates of these images then let me know!

      Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 9:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [lewiscarroll] Ripon photo album

      In a message dated 5/13/03 6:42:50 PM GMT Daylight Time, keith@... writes:

      the probability is they are from the Mason catalogue - the puzzle is that I
      can find no other copies of them.  Even stranger the only place that the
      catalogue appears to have been publicly advertised was in the Sarum Almanack
      of 1861.  The images cost 2s - 6d each unframed and from 5s 6d framed.
      Mason's list had 74 people on it with more in preparation, the majority on
      the list being clergy.  They would send the images upon receipt of the fee
      in postage stamps.

      I was wondering what 'Mason's list' is, and guessing I probably ought to know.

      It's a shame the provenance is likely to remain uncertain.  Keith, is there anyway for people on the list to see copies of these images?

    • mikeindex@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 21, 2003
        Thanks for the info and download Keith.

        By the way, if you've any info about the upcoming Croft visit, send it to me and I'll make sure it's posted to all the membership here.

        Mike
      • keith
        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2003
          Mike,

          the annual get together of the LC society is to be at Croft on Tees this year in early July.  It coincides with the falchion ceremony on Croft bridge when the new Bishop of Durham having been invested by the Archbishop of York leaves civilised Yorkshire and enters Durham!

          The talks are to include items relevant to Croft, CLD's photography at Croft and his attendance at Richmond school under James Tate junior.  Richmond is ten miles from Croft and the weekend includes a trip to Richmond and a talk by Jane Hatcher a local historian who has written a book about the place.

          The hotel accommodation is now fully booked but if anyone wishes to come on the Friday, as a day visitor, and listen to the talks then we can accommodate this.  The talks are scheduled for 3.00 p.m. - 8.00 p.m. with breaks for coffee and a meal in between.  We hope that they may hear something new after all!

          All we would require is a small contribution to the cost of the printed materials to be given out and payment for the meals.  There is a travel lodge about four miles away if anyone wishes to stay overnight on the Friday.  If anyone is interested then please contact me direct.

          Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 10:00 AM