Re: [lewiscarroll] $5000 pet rock

  • AnisaT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 12, 2003
      In a message dated 12/03/2003 22:26:15 GMT Standard Time, MarkIsrael@... writes:

      but they do say up front that
      these are NON ACCREDITED DEGREES. If somebody wanted to sell you a
      pet rock for $5000 and you bought it, that would be your problem."

      Hey Mark!

      You had something to do with closing this  nonsense down?  Good on you!    Over h ere in England, ruthless busin essmen are ripping off thousands of  gullible   people  using similar scams.  In this case though they do offer training (of a sort), but it is usually delivered by unqualified people using out of date material.  I'v e   had three or four approach me aski ng me to lend my name to their courses for a small consideration - apparently this is quite common practice.

      The people who fall for it are those who are desperate to get their feet on the first rung on the UK employment ladder   - often single parents and refugees.  Thos who can least afford it.

      So I  was heartened t o read about this success.  Well done

      (sorry this isn't strictly Carrollian)!

      John Tufail
    • Jim Buch
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2003
        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Israel" <MarkIsrael@a...>
        wrote:

        > If somebody wanted to sell you a
        > pet rock for $5000 and you bought it, that would be your problem."
        >
        > What does all this have to do with Lewis Carroll? Sorry, but I
        > can't help imagining the King of Hearts reading the spam with the
        > words "Diplomas from prestigious non-accredited universities", and
        > muttering to himself, "Accredited -- non-accredited -- accredited --
        > non-accredited --" as if trying which word sounded better.

        Did you know that the actual product sold during the "pet rock"
        maketing craze was NOT the rock?

        Not the rock? Are you whacky or something?

        "Advertising for Dummies" by Gary Dahl.

        Gary Dahl was the originator of the Pet Rock.

        In his book he describes his marketing dilema. He wrote a short book
        spoofing all the books on taking care of pets. He knew that the
        prospects of ever making any money from a book, especially a small
        humorous one, were slim and none.

        So, he packaged the real product, his spoof book, as an "Owners Guide
        to Pet(s) (Rocks)" and sold the whole pet package - the pet rock, the
        traveling case and the owners manual.

        He made a small fortune and from that he was able to launch his own
        advertising agency.

        A review from the Amazon.com website of the "Advertising for Dummies"
        2 of 6 people found the following review helpful:

        "Ad" this book to your shopping cart!, October 16, 2001
        Reviewer: A reader from San Jose, CA United States
        This is the book that all people interested in advertising have been
        waiting for and will enjoy. It was talked about on KGO newstalk 810
        a.m. and was created by the maker of the Pet Rock. For advertising
        students this will be of great help for your classes and for those of
        you already working in the field of advertising this will be a great
        read providing a deeper insight into this amazing field.

        Somehow, I suspect that Lewis Carroll would have gotten a great kick
        out of this very magnificent deception and display of imagination.

        Jim Buch
      • keith
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2003
          John,

          whilst I can see the argument I would also point out that in CLD's day and nowadays there are many accredited degrees that are not worth the paper they are written upon.  If in doubt ask the inspectors who visit the universities!  Media studies springs to mind but there are hundreds more.

          Keith W

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2003
            In a message dated 13/03/2003 07:21:30 GMT Standard Time, keith@... writes:

            If in doubt ask the inspectors who visit the universities!  Media studies springs to mind but there are hundreds more.

            Keith,

            I AM  an inspector   - in that one of my tasks is to validate courses  and monitor them!

            Obviously  (in my area at least)  I disagree with you on that!  The only Media studies course I have personal experience of is the Bradford one.   My personal opinion is that it is excellent.  Rigorous  , in tellectually challenging and extremely relevant to today's society.

            I would be most interested in knowing on what basis y ou selected    media studies as  an example?  Have you knowledge of one that is particularly badly constructed and irrelevant (Salford maybe?).

            In my experience , the worst courses  being run are actually in business studies - but it is almost  an occupational hazard  in  the subject   as  trends in  business theory and practice  change so rapidly that inevitably one is doomed to teach applications that are irredeemably obsolete.

            John

          • Bryan Talbot
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2003
              > whilst I can see the argument I would also point out that in CLD's day and
              > nowadays there are many accredited degrees that are not worth the paper they
              > are written upon. If in doubt ask the inspectors who visit the universities!
              > Media studies springs to mind but there are hundreds more.

              I know quite a few Media Studies lecturers at the local University and their
              depth of knowledge, scholastic integrity, commitment and academic rigour are
              beyond question.

              Bryan

              _______________________________________________ http://www.bryan-talbot.com

              Nice prints! Visit:

              http://www.podgallery.com/index.cfm?page=catdetails&category=305&From=262

              Brand new Luther Arkwright website!

              http://www.modernvikings.com/luther-arkwright/
            • AnisaT@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 13, 2003
                In a message dated 13/03/2003 14:54:15 GMT Standard Time, bryan.talbot@... writes:

                I know quite a few Media Studies lecturers at the local University and their
                depth of knowledge, scholastic integrity, commitment and academic rigour are
                beyond question.

                SNAP!

                A retraction Keith?