Mrs. Grundy's 42 Fat Pigs

  • DOYLE60@aol.com
    Message 1 of 98 , Jul 1, 2002
      I think I see the pins. But what kind of pins are these? They look like
      black light bulbs!
      ____

      Little Birds are sleeping
      All among the pins,
      Where the loser wins:
      Where, I say, he sneezes
      When and how he pleases---
      So the Tale begins.

      Lewis Carroll, *Sylvie and Bruno Concluded*, "
    • markbwrabbit
      Message 98 of 98 , Jul 19, 2002
        --- In lewiscarroll@y..., DOYLE60@a... wrote:
        > Could someone explain what is going on here, what ellipsis means
        here? I
        > thought I knew but....
        > _____
        >
        > "Shall I knock, or ring?" said Hugh, looking in some
        perplexity at a
        > square brass plate which bore the simple inscription, "RING ALSO."
        > "Both," said Balbus. "That's an Ellipsis, my boy. Did you
        never see an
        > Ellipsis before ?"
        > "I couldn't hardly read it," said Hugh evasively. "Its no good
        having an
        > Ellipsis, if they don't keep it clean."
        >
        > Lewis Carroll, *A Tangled Tale*, Knot II, "Eligible Apartments"

        "Ellipsis" is a term from rhetoric, specifically "omission of a word
        or short phrase easily understood in context". See
        "The Forest of Rhetoric" at
        http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/Figures/E/ellipsis.htm.
        wr