Re: [lewiscarroll] Snark caricatures

  • mikeindex@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2002
      In a message dated 5/31/02 11:06:54 PM GMT Daylight Time, woolf@... writes:

      Some of the other characters are obviously caricatures of real people
      too. But I can't identify any of them.  Anyone got any comments?

      The Barrister is a VERY cheeky caricature of Edward Vaughan Kenealy, the defence counsel in the celebrated Tichborne Case - the a photo facing p. 236 of Douglas Woodruff's 'The Tichborne Claimant' shows just how daringly close Holiday's likeness is.  Kenealy was widely viewed as an unprincipled upstart with a dodgy private life; CLD seems to have shared the general disapproval, and worked out with some satisfaction that his name was an anagram of 'Ah! We dread an ugly knave!' (Letters I, p. 208).  (EVK was also none too successful professionally - his client, whether he was the real Sir Roger Tichborne or not, ended up being sent down for fourteen years for perjury).

      CLD's brother Skeffington, with his customary acumen, apparently thought it would be a jolly wheeze to send Kenealy a copy of 'The Snark'.  CLD firmly dissuaded him (Letters I, p. 247).