Karoline's article

  • charles lewis
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 8, 2002
      WAY TO GO KAROLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • mikeindex@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 9, 2002
        Karoline's article has now appeared (TLS, Feb 8 2002 issue, pp. 13-15); for those without £2.40 to spare it can be found online at http://www.the-tls.co.uk.html  Readers will not be surprised to learn that it continues the process of demythologising started by her book and presents some of the information about CLD's relations with adult women that she has dealt with here, and which were the real bone of contention between himself and his society.  Mrs Liddell is not mentioned, which may be a disappointment to some.

        Mike
      • jbuchus
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 9, 2002
          --- In lewiscarroll@y..., mikeindex@a... wrote:
          > Karoline's article has now appeared (TLS, Feb 8 2002 issue, pp.
          13-15); for
          > those without £2.40 to spare it can be found online at
          > http://www.the-tls.co.uk.html Readers will not be surprised to
          learn that it
          > continues the process of demythologising started by her book and
          presents
          > some of the information about CLD's relations with adult women that
          she has
          > dealt with here, and which were the real bone of contention between
          himself
          > and his society. Mrs Liddell is not mentioned, which may be a
          disappointment
          > to some.
          >

          > Mike

          Is the URL correct?

          I get :

          Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

          [DBNMPNTW]Specified SQL server not found.

          /admin/includes/include.inc, line 49

          :

          Jim
        • boylucid
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 9, 2002
            Hello there, a french friend pointed out thet there is a Mary Ann
            who is a symbol of the French Revolution, is this the reason for
            the naming of the White Rabbits house keeper, which I think you
            will agree is a cumbersome name to come up with for such a
            brief line appearance in the book, I personally don't think this is
            likely, and no doubt one of you will know. I'm all ears (pun
            intended) James
          • boylucid
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 9, 2002
                I get that too. Have tried doing a search, have gone to the T L S Home Page, found the reference to the article, but their link doesn't work either.
                Kate

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2002
                  Here is the correct URL- for the article:

                  http://www.the-tls.co.uk/this_week/story.asp?story_id=14806

                  or you should be able to get there by clicking here:

                  Welcome to The TLS

                  Unfortunately there is only an abridged version online.

                  Mike
                • Jim Coombs
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 10, 2002
                    How much has been "abridged"?
                    Is it worth tracking down the original?

                    Jim.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 10, 2002
                      From http://faculty.fullerton.edu/nfitch/history110b/rev.html :

                      # Eventually, the new French Republic was
                      # personified as a woman, "Marianne," the
                      # name of an old secret society. As Maurice
                      # Agulhon has shown, once the image was
                      # invented, it could be reconfigured as it
                      # proliferated, but eventually it coalesced
                      # into an ideal type. Marianne was a
                      # powerful woman in 1789, was stylized in
                      # the 1880s, and was commercialized in the
                      # late Twentieth Century, when she became
                      # identified with the actress Brigitte Bardot.

                      Fascinating, but I don't see any connection with
                      Lewis Carroll. I think Carroll's choice of the
                      name "Mary Ann" just reflects the fact that a
                      housekeeper had to be lower-class, and the British
                      lower classes were not very imaginative in their
                      choice of names.
                    • DOYLE60@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 10, 2002
                        Martin Gardner writes in The Annotated Alice:
                        "According to Roger Green, *Mary Ann* was at the time a British euphemism for
                        "servant girl."

                        The annotation goes on and includes the French Revolution connection. I
                        haven't read the posts carefully and if this is how it started, sorry.

                        Matt
                      • boylucid
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 10, 2002
                          Another possible connection is the Mary Ann brewery in Jersey,
                          did CD ever journey there?

                          James
                        • Mark Israel <MarkIsrael@aol.com>
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 7, 2003
                            A year ago, we were discussing whether Mary Ann, the White Rabbit's
                            maidservant, was named after Marianne, the personification of the
                            French Republic. I still think not, but I just came across a
                            depiction of Marianne by Tenniel:

                            http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/mtbeliau/P1
                            0061883BRAVE.JPG