Re: Export ban on Carroll photographs.

  • pleasanceone
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2002
      Don't know whether I support a ban on exporting Carroll's photos,
      but it intrigues me that if the British are so fond of their heritage
      why does an aweful lot of it end up in the colonies?

      I am a Goons fan, and my sister is a dedicated Dr. Who fan...... and
      it is astonishing the amount of tapes etc simply thrown out by the
      Beeb. In fact it is because material was shipped accidently or
      deliberately to places like Australia that there is anything like a
      complete record of these programs exists.

      I wonder if the same is true of Lewis Carroll photos and writings
      etc. Would the manuscript for Alice's Adventures underGround have
      remained at all had it not been put up for auction? Would the photos
      locked away in Princeton exist at all had they not been sold? Perhaps
      Carroll's diaries would have been better preserved had they been
      auctioned to the highest bidder rather than left in the caring hands
      of relatives. After all if I were going to pay millions for some bits
      of paper and old photos I would want to look after them.

      And here's a challenge..... if you found the lost diaries or
      unpublished photos in *your* attic/basement/garage sale somewhere
      what would *you* do with them?

      (Me? well I'd sigh over them very deeply and try not to drool too
      much then hand em over to someone who'd look after em but not before
      I'd made my millions by writing the definitive book about Lewis
      Carroll and those damned diaries!)

      Ciao
      Deb :)
    • DOYLE60@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2002
        Deb wrote:
        < locked away in Princeton >

        They are not LOCKED away in Princeton. Oh, this is getting tiring! It's
        not how I look at it and it is simply the wrong way to see it. One who says
        this must answer to my list. How are they to display photos in albums? How
        are they (Princeton and all such facilities) supposed to find the space to
        show all these Carroll items? If Carroll, what about the other writers with
        goods "locked away"? Let's be practical. If you believe this than you must
        answer to these problems I present. Complaints without practical solutions
        will fall on deaf ears.

        But perhaps you are just speaking figuratively. Then....Never mind.

        < writing the definitive book about Lewis Carroll and those damned diaries!) >

        But can you quote from them at all, even short "fair use" quoting? You don't
        own the writing, the family does. So you have to play it cool with them, I
        believe.

        Matt
      • Dayna McCausland
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2002
          pleasanceone wrote:photos

          > And here's a challenge..... if you found the lost diaries or
          > unpublished photos in *your* attic/basement/garage sale somewhere
          > what would *you* do with them?
          >
          > (Me? well I'd sigh over them very deeply and try not to drool too
          > much then hand em over to someone who'd look after em but not before
          > I'd made my millions by writing the definitive book about Lewis
          > Carroll and those damned diaries!)
          >
          > Ciao
          > Deb :)

          Oh Deb you are so generous! I can hear the sighing and drooling. I'm afraid I'm not
          that nice. I'd keep it/them, but I would probably donate it/them to a public
          instituation when I died. However, I think it would be a Canadian institution.
          (duck and cover) However, since it is extremely unlikely to happen I won't have the
          issue weighing heavily on my mind.
          Lewis Carroll is loved around the world, and there isn't just one item that would
          be considered representative of Lewis Carroll--there are editions of books
          (presentations, firsts, the 1865 "Alice"), letters, photographs, manuscripts,
          diaries, etc. There are lots of great things. Why shouldn't they be spread around
          *somewhat*? Britain has "Underground", and the diaries.
          The world is getting smaller all the time-- 100 years ago how many of us would be
          able to travel extensively? Items get more accessible all the time. I haven't seen
          all Britain has to offer yet but it is not out of reach for the average person.
          Canada has the Brabant collection, and the painting "The Lady with the Lilacs" by
          Arthur Hughes, owned by Carroll and auctioned by the Dodgson's in 1965 (I think).
          I can see both sides of the argument but "treasures" leaving their native country,
          right or wrong, has been going on for centuries and will continue to go on. Items
          that should be available to the public have been passing into private hands for
          centuries and will continue to do so.
          It was really up to Alice's granddaughter, I suppose, to make a real effort to find
          a British museum or library willing to purchase the collection.
          In a perfect world the entire Liddell collection would have gone to one British
          institution and been available for all to see and enjoy, but it is not a perfect
          world.
          Can anyone tell me what happens when export is refused? You bought the photograph
          album for $___ million dollars at auction and Britain refuses to let it out of the
          country. What happens to you, the buyer?
          Dayna