The Victorian Context

  • kwindel@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2000
      When I suggested that it's easier to place Carroll in his Victorian
      context, I wasn't suggesting that ways of examining the author, such
      as through reexamining the evidence, are invalid. They are just more
      precarious.

      Victorians had a different view of children than we do today, and
      they were subject to a host of mistreatments. I'm not suggesting
      that Carroll was a pedophile, but we do need to see his relationship
      with the Liddell girls in the context of his time. We can't judge
      the past with standards of the present. Even those fops with their
      servant-boys and Greek philosophers with their young students must be
      viewed within their appropriate historical and social contexts.
      Simple, but true.