42

  • knaveofarts
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 19, 2013
      42 is the sum of the six consecutive even numbers 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 + 10
      + 12.

      40 is the sum of the six consecutive prime numbers 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 11
      + 13. The series includes a lucky number (7) but it ends on an unlucky
      number (13).

      The two series cover all the numbers between 1 and 13, except for 9,
      which is odd.

      At TTLG chapter 7, 4207 soldiers are unlucky. 4 + 2 + 0 + 7 = 13. The
      series ends on a lucky number (7) , but the sum (13) is unlucky. Or, to
      put it another way, 42 + the lucky number 7 = an unlucky number (13).

      Of course, one might argue that 7 is an unlucky number. And why not?
      In AAIW the Queen is reported to have said that Gardener No. 7 deserved
      to be beheaded. Of course, this is only a second-hand report. But lets
      suppose that 7 was executed, no disrespect intended to the Queen. That
      would leave only Gardeners 2 and 5. But 2 + 5 = 7, which is lucky.
      Therefore, 7 is not an unlucky number.

      On the other hand, one might contend that 13 is a lucky number. But 40
      - 13 = 27. In that case Gardener No. 5 must have been executed.
      Therefore, 13 is not a lucky number.
    • Jenifer Ransom

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
          That's interesting. Does the Tarot have any symbolism for 5 and 7?

          Also, there is some number of people in which two people will have the same birthday. It's probably not 42, but I have the feeling its somewhere around that number.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
            Tarot cards aren't based on birthdays.

            Fifth card of Tarot is the Hierophant, seventh is the Chariot.   They are in the Major Arcana that goes from the Fool (zero) to the World (21).  There are 56 cards in the Minor Arcana, where we find the Two of Cups.

            Tarot is most often used for gaining insight into situations and relationships, but I find it most profitable to simply meditate on their meanings.  This is a pdf of Meditations on the Tarot (major Arcana):

            On Jul 26, 2013, at 12:07 PM, "knaveofarts" <knaveofarts@...> wrote:

            That's interesting. Does the Tarot have any symbolism for 5 and 7?

            Also, there is some number of people in which two people will have the same birthday. It's probably not 42, but I have the feeling its somewhere around that number.

            --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, Jenifer Ransom <jenifer@...> wrote:

            > The Tarot symbolism of 42 is the Two of Cups, which is a complicated card having to do with the law of give and take, the duality of creation, interpreting knowledge of higher worlds, the purity underlying the soul or subconscious, the Holy Trinity and the creativity of humanity...whew!

          • guy_d_barry
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
              You were probably thinking of 23, when the probability is around 50%.  At 42 it’s about 91%.  It doesn’t reach 100% until you get to 366 people, of course.  See:

              Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 9:23 PM
              Subject: Re: [lewiscarroll] Re: 42

              --- In mailto:lewiscarroll%40yahoogroups.com, Jenifer Ransom <jenifer@...> wrote:

              > The Tarot symbolism of 42 is the Two of Cups, which is a complicated card having to do with the law of give and take, the duality of creation, interpreting knowledge of higher worlds, the purity underlying the soul or subconscious, the Holy Trinity and the creativity of humanity...whew!

            • oldjoesoap
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                ..or perhaps 367....

                --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, <guy.barry@...> wrote:

                > You said: "Also, there is some number of people in which two people will have the same birthday. It's probably not 42, but I have the feeling its somewhere around that number."
                >
                > You were probably thinking of 23, when the probability is around 50%. At 42 it's about 91%. It doesn't reach 100% until you get to 366 people, of course. See:
                >
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

              • Guy Barry
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 27, 2013
                  Yes, the problem is normally posed in a simplified fashion that ignores February 29.  Including it makes the calculation of probabilities rather trickier.

                  Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 11:40 AM
                  Subject: [lewiscarroll] Re: 42

                  ..or perhaps 367....

                  href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

                  PM
                  > To:
                  href="mailto:lewiscarroll%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:lewiscarroll%40yahoogroups.com

                  href="http://www.tarothermeneutics.com/tarotliterature/MOTT/Meditations-on-the-Tarot.pdf">http://www.tarothermeneutics.com/tarotliterature/MOTT/Meditations-on-the-Tarot.pdf

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
                    Thanks for the interesting information. Maybe Carroll had the Two of Teacups in mind.