Re: jabberwocky

  • knaveofarts
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
      Wait a minute. I've got a simpler idea as a possible explanation. "wock"
      sounds just like 'walk', and maybe this is how Englishmen pronounce
      "walk" i.e. "I'm taking a wock in the park." Other well-known examples
      of English vs. American pronunciation are, for examples, 'Maundy,' for
      'Monday', as in "Its Maundy, not Thursday."; "homily," for "homely," as,
      "You're very homily."; and 'towers,' for 'two hours, as in "You're
      towers late!" So a "jabberwocky" would simply be someone who talks as he
      walks; for example, Aristotle would be a jabberwocky. Offhand, I can't
      think of the American equivalent for 'Tiddly Poo," though.

      --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "knaveofarts" <knaveofarts@...>
      wrote:

      > Is the name, if it is a name, mean something? I can think of jab,
      jabber. Did 'wocky' mean anything in Carroll's time? Did it mean
      'whacky'?
    • Keith W
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 12, 2013
        All,

        Davenports tea rooms, in Acton Bridge Cheshire, which is not far from the site in Morphany Lane where Lewis Carroll was born in 1832, has won an award for the best tea room in the UK.

        The tea room is ‘Alice’ themed with the owner having painted scenes from ‘Alice’ on the walls. Also there are pictures of the Dodgson family and of Alice Liddell displayed plus the owners collection of ‘Alice’ memorabilia.

        Well worth a visit if you are in Cheshire!

        Best wishes,

        Keith – Daresbury LC Society.
      • Keith W
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013
          All,

          I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

          If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.

          This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz – plus the usual local news.

          Regards,

          Keith

        • Keith Sheppard
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013

            Thanks Keith

            Yes, I would be quite interested to receive the PDF.

            Regards

            Keith Sheppard

            Welcome to the Crazyverse.

            Keith Sheppard's "Welcome to the Crazyverse" and "Wonderland Revisited and the Games Alice Played There" are available now from Amazon, Fishpond and all good bookshops.

            Want an author for your book week? I also offer school/library visits and literacy courses in the Berkshire area. See web site for details.

            http://www.WriterMan.org.uk

          • Doug Howick
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013

              Yes please Keith.  I enjoy reading it!

              Kind regards,

              doug-colour.JPG

              I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

              If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.

              This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz – plus the usual local news.

              Regards,

              Keith

              No virus found in this message.

            • Mahendra Singh
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                Yes, indeed, I enjoy your journal very much and wish to continue receiving it.

                best
                Mahendra Singh

                MAHENDRA SINGH: FREELANCE ILLUSTRATION and ART DIRECTION

                • Editor of the Knight Letter, journal of the LCSNA
                The Hunting of the Snark Blog
                Illustration Samples
                Represented by Oliver Mielenz
                follow me on Twitter
                follow me on Tumblr
                • 514.675.1205

                To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                  I always like receiving the Daresbury magazine.
                  And there will soon be a new Evertype publication of special interest for it!

                • Keith W
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                    Michael,

                    you hinting at the scouse edition? I was with June Lornie on Saturday!

                    I’ll send out the Daresbury magazine tomorrow evening when I’ve put the contacts into my Daresbury folder.

                    Regards,

                    Keith W

                    Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:56 PM

                    I always like receiving the Daresbury magazine.
                    And there will soon be a new Evertype publication of special interest for it!

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • angeldance66
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                      I'd like to see it. My email is jenifer@....

                      Thanks!

                      Jenifer

                      --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith W" <keith@...> wrote:

                      > All,
                      > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.
                      > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                      > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                      > Regards,
                      > Keith

                    • michele rosenberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                        Please send it to me in PDF.  michel.rosenberg@...

                        Thanks

                        On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM, angeldance66 <jenifer@...> wrote:

                        I'd like to see it. My email is jenifer@....

                        Thanks!

                        Jenifer

                        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith W" <keith@...> wrote:

                        > All,
                        > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                        > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                        > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                        > Regards,
                        > Keith

                      • neil nicholson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                          Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                          Thank you.

                          > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                          > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                          > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                          > Regards,
                          > Keith

                        • Maria Bodmann
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 26 8:07 PM
                            Keith I would so like to receive a pdf if you can still send it - maria@...

                            I would have sent this note off list but it seems impossible to do that.

                            Best wishes,
                            maRia

                            -- Maria Bodmann Ph: 818/837-9485 Fax: 801/904-6509 maria@... http://www.balibeyond.com http://www.balibeyond.com/alice/alice.html

                            To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com
                            From: neilnicholson2004@...
                            Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                            Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                            Thank you.

                            > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                            > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                            > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                            > Regards,
                            > Keith

                          • michele rosenberg

                              From: neilnicholson2004@...
                              Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                              Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                              Thank you.

                              > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                              > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                              > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                              > Regards,
                              > Keith

                            • Keith W
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 14, 2013
                              Michele,

                              it was definitely sent – I’ve checked my list and your email address is on it.

                              I’ll attach it to this email – could you let me know if it arrives in your in box?

                              Best wishes,

                              Keith

                              From: neilnicholson2004@...
                              Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                              Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                              Thank you.

                              I'd like to see it. My email is mailto:jenifer%40toast.net.

                              Thanks!

                              Jenifer

                              Message 15 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
                                Thank you.  I did receive the attachment and enjoyed the articles.

                                [Attachment(s) from Keith W included below]

                                From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100