Re: [lewiscarroll] jabberwocky

  • Jenifer Ransom
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013

       God Bless Google:

      jab·ber·wock·y

      /ˈjabərˌwäkē/
      Noun
      Invented or meaningless language; nonsense.
      Synonyms
      abracadabra

      On Mar 30, 2013, at 2:27 PM, knaveofarts <knaveofarts@...> wrote:

      Is the name, if it is a name, mean something? I can think of jab, jabber. Jabbok was a river Jacob crossed and met the angel. Did 'wocky' mean anything in Carroll's time? Did it mean 'whacky'? Did it have something to do with a cooking Wok? I see the word used in places on the internet, apparently for some kind of doll-like creature, but see no definition. I doubt that there is an answer, and suppose it is just a nonsense word. But maybe there is a place in England named Berwock, where dragons are reported. That seems to be the least logical supposition.

    • knaveofarts
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
        Wait a minute. I've got a simpler idea as a possible explanation. "wock"
        sounds just like 'walk', and maybe this is how Englishmen pronounce
        "walk" i.e. "I'm taking a wock in the park." Other well-known examples
        of English vs. American pronunciation are, for examples, 'Maundy,' for
        'Monday', as in "Its Maundy, not Thursday."; "homily," for "homely," as,
        "You're very homily."; and 'towers,' for 'two hours, as in "You're
        towers late!" So a "jabberwocky" would simply be someone who talks as he
        walks; for example, Aristotle would be a jabberwocky. Offhand, I can't
        think of the American equivalent for 'Tiddly Poo," though.

        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "knaveofarts" <knaveofarts@...>
        wrote:

        > Is the name, if it is a name, mean something? I can think of jab,
        jabber. Did 'wocky' mean anything in Carroll's time? Did it mean
        'whacky'?
      • Keith W
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 12, 2013
          All,

          Davenports tea rooms, in Acton Bridge Cheshire, which is not far from the site in Morphany Lane where Lewis Carroll was born in 1832, has won an award for the best tea room in the UK.

          The tea room is ‘Alice’ themed with the owner having painted scenes from ‘Alice’ on the walls. Also there are pictures of the Dodgson family and of Alice Liddell displayed plus the owners collection of ‘Alice’ memorabilia.

          Well worth a visit if you are in Cheshire!

          Best wishes,

          Keith – Daresbury LC Society.
        • Keith W
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013
            All,

            I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

            If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.

            This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz – plus the usual local news.

            Regards,

            Keith

          • Keith Sheppard
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013

              Thanks Keith

              Yes, I would be quite interested to receive the PDF.

              Regards

              Keith Sheppard

              Welcome to the Crazyverse.

              Keith Sheppard's "Welcome to the Crazyverse" and "Wonderland Revisited and the Games Alice Played There" are available now from Amazon, Fishpond and all good bookshops.

              Want an author for your book week? I also offer school/library visits and literacy courses in the Berkshire area. See web site for details.

              http://www.WriterMan.org.uk

            • Doug Howick
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 22, 2013

                Yes please Keith.  I enjoy reading it!

                Kind regards,

                doug-colour.JPG

                I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.

                This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz – plus the usual local news.

                Regards,

                Keith

                No virus found in this message.

              • Mahendra Singh
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Yes, indeed, I enjoy your journal very much and wish to continue receiving it.

                  best
                  Mahendra Singh

                  MAHENDRA SINGH: FREELANCE ILLUSTRATION and ART DIRECTION

                  • Editor of the Knight Letter, journal of the LCSNA
                  The Hunting of the Snark Blog
                  Illustration Samples
                  Represented by Oliver Mielenz
                  follow me on Twitter
                  follow me on Tumblr
                  • 514.675.1205

                  To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                    I always like receiving the Daresbury magazine.
                    And there will soon be a new Evertype publication of special interest for it!

                  • Keith W
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                      Michael,

                      you hinting at the scouse edition? I was with June Lornie on Saturday!

                      I’ll send out the Daresbury magazine tomorrow evening when I’ve put the contacts into my Daresbury folder.

                      Regards,

                      Keith W

                      Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:56 PM

                      I always like receiving the Daresbury magazine.
                      And there will soon be a new Evertype publication of special interest for it!

                      No virus found in this message.

                    • angeldance66
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                        I'd like to see it. My email is jenifer@....

                        Thanks!

                        Jenifer

                        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith W" <keith@...> wrote:

                        > All,
                        > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.
                        > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                        > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                        > Regards,
                        > Keith

                      • michele rosenberg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
                          Please send it to me in PDF.  michel.rosenberg@...

                          Thanks

                          On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM, angeldance66 <jenifer@...> wrote:

                          I'd like to see it. My email is jenifer@....

                          Thanks!

                          Jenifer

                          --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith W" <keith@...> wrote:

                          > All,
                          > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                          > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                          > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                          > Regards,
                          > Keith

                        • neil nicholson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
                            Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                            Thank you.

                            > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                            > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                            > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                            > Regards,
                            > Keith

                          • Maria Bodmann
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 26, 2013
                              Keith I would so like to receive a pdf if you can still send it - maria@...

                              I would have sent this note off list but it seems impossible to do that.

                              Best wishes,
                              maRia

                              -- Maria Bodmann Ph: 818/837-9485 Fax: 801/904-6509 maria@... http://www.balibeyond.com http://www.balibeyond.com/alice/alice.html

                              To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com
                              From: neilnicholson2004@...
                              Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                              Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                              Thank you.

                              > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                              > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                              > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                              > Regards,
                              > Keith

                            • michele rosenberg

                                From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                                Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                                Thank you.

                                > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                                > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                                > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                                > Regards,
                                > Keith

                              • Keith W
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 14, 2013
                                Michele,

                                it was definitely sent – I’ve checked my list and your email address is on it.

                                I’ll attach it to this email – could you let me know if it arrives in your in box?

                                Best wishes,

                                Keith

                                From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                                Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                                Thank you.

                                I'd like to see it. My email is mailto:jenifer%40toast.net.

                                Thanks!

                                Jenifer

                                Message 16 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
                                  Thank you.  I did receive the attachment and enjoyed the articles.

                                  [Attachment(s) from Keith W included below]

                                  From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                  Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100