jabberwocky

  • knaveofarts
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
      Is the name, if it is a name, mean something? I can think of jab, jabber. Jabbok was a river Jacob crossed and met the angel. Did 'wocky' mean anything in Carroll's time? Did it mean 'whacky'? Did it have something to do with a cooking Wok? I see the word used in places on the internet, apparently for some kind of doll-like creature, but see no definition. I doubt that there is an answer, and suppose it is just a nonsense word. But maybe there is a place in England named Berwock, where dragons are reported. That seems to be the least logical supposition.
    • Jenifer Ransom
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013

         God Bless Google:

        jab·ber·wock·y

        /ˈjabərˌwäkē/
        Noun
        Invented or meaningless language; nonsense.
        Synonyms
        abracadabra

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 31, 2013
          Wait a minute. I've got a simpler idea as a possible explanation. "wock"
          sounds just like 'walk', and maybe this is how Englishmen pronounce
          "walk" i.e. "I'm taking a wock in the park." Other well-known examples
          of English vs. American pronunciation are, for examples, 'Maundy,' for
          'Monday', as in "Its Maundy, not Thursday."; "homily," for "homely," as,
          "You're very homily."; and 'towers,' for 'two hours, as in "You're
          towers late!" So a "jabberwocky" would simply be someone who talks as he
          walks; for example, Aristotle would be a jabberwocky. Offhand, I can't
          think of the American equivalent for 'Tiddly Poo," though.

          --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "knaveofarts" <knaveofarts@...>
          wrote:

          > Is the name, if it is a name, mean something? I can think of jab,
          jabber. Did 'wocky' mean anything in Carroll's time? Did it mean
          'whacky'?
        • Keith W
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 12 12:27 PM
            All,

            Davenports tea rooms, in Acton Bridge Cheshire, which is not far from the site in Morphany Lane where Lewis Carroll was born in 1832, has won an award for the best tea room in the UK.

            The tea room is ‘Alice’ themed with the owner having painted scenes from ‘Alice’ on the walls. Also there are pictures of the Dodgson family and of Alice Liddell displayed plus the owners collection of ‘Alice’ memorabilia.

            Well worth a visit if you are in Cheshire!

            Best wishes,

            Keith – Daresbury LC Society.
          • Keith W
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 22 9:04 AM
              All,

              I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

              If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.

              This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz – plus the usual local news.

              Regards,

              Keith

            • Keith Sheppard
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 22 3:35 PM

                Thanks Keith

                Yes, I would be quite interested to receive the PDF.

                Regards

                Keith Sheppard

                Welcome to the Crazyverse.

                Keith Sheppard's "Welcome to the Crazyverse" and "Wonderland Revisited and the Games Alice Played There" are available now from Amazon, Fishpond and all good bookshops.

                Want an author for your book week? I also offer school/library visits and literacy courses in the Berkshire area. See web site for details.

                http://www.WriterMan.org.uk

              • Doug Howick
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 22 4:48 PM

                  Yes please Keith.  I enjoy reading it!

                  Kind regards,

                  doug-colour.JPG

                  I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                  If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.

                  This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz – plus the usual local news.

                  Regards,

                  Keith

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Mahendra Singh
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23 4:59 AM
                    Yes, indeed, I enjoy your journal very much and wish to continue receiving it.

                    best
                    Mahendra Singh

                    MAHENDRA SINGH: FREELANCE ILLUSTRATION and ART DIRECTION

                    • Editor of the Knight Letter, journal of the LCSNA
                    The Hunting of the Snark Blog
                    Illustration Samples
                    Represented by Oliver Mielenz
                    follow me on Twitter
                    follow me on Tumblr
                    • 514.675.1205

                    To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 23 5:56 AM
                      I always like receiving the Daresbury magazine.
                      And there will soon be a new Evertype publication of special interest for it!

                    • Keith W
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 23 10:21 AM
                        Michael,

                        you hinting at the scouse edition? I was with June Lornie on Saturday!

                        I’ll send out the Daresbury magazine tomorrow evening when I’ve put the contacts into my Daresbury folder.

                        Regards,

                        Keith W

                        Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:56 PM

                        I always like receiving the Daresbury magazine.
                        And there will soon be a new Evertype publication of special interest for it!

                        No virus found in this message.

                      • angeldance66
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 23 12:01 PM
                          I'd like to see it. My email is jenifer@....

                          Thanks!

                          Jenifer

                          --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith W" <keith@...> wrote:

                          > All,
                          > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.
                          > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                          > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                          > Regards,
                          > Keith

                        • michele rosenberg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 23 12:29 PM
                            Please send it to me in PDF.  michel.rosenberg@...

                            Thanks

                            On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM, angeldance66 <jenifer@...> wrote:

                            I'd like to see it. My email is jenifer@....

                            Thanks!

                            Jenifer

                            --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith W" <keith@...> wrote:

                            > All,
                            > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                            > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                            > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                            > Regards,
                            > Keith

                          • neil nicholson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 25 10:11 AM
                              Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                              Thank you.

                              > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                              > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                              > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                              > Regards,
                              > Keith

                            • Maria Bodmann
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 26, 2013
                                Keith I would so like to receive a pdf if you can still send it - maria@...

                                I would have sent this note off list but it seems impossible to do that.

                                Best wishes,
                                maRia

                                -- Maria Bodmann Ph: 818/837-9485 Fax: 801/904-6509 maria@... http://www.balibeyond.com http://www.balibeyond.com/alice/alice.html

                                To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com
                                From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                                Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                                Thank you.

                                > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                                > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                                > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                                > Regards,
                                > Keith

                              • michele rosenberg

                                  From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                  Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                                  Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                                  Thank you.

                                  > I had a list of members of this group who requested a PDF copy of the Daresbury magazine and I’m aware that some email addresses on that list are now defunct.

                                  > If you would like a copy of the magazine in PDF form would you send me an email please. I tried to post the PDF on the site last time but it was rejected.
                                  > This edition has an article on Tenniel in it and some amusing parodies from August Imholtz â€" plus the usual local news.
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Keith

                                • Keith W
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 14, 2013
                                  Michele,

                                  it was definitely sent – I’ve checked my list and your email address is on it.

                                  I’ll attach it to this email – could you let me know if it arrives in your in box?

                                  Best wishes,

                                  Keith

                                  From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                  Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100

                                  Please send it to me in PDF. neilnicholson2004@...

                                  Thank you.

                                  I'd like to see it. My email is mailto:jenifer%40toast.net.

                                  Thanks!

                                  Jenifer

                                  Message 17 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
                                    Thank you.  I did receive the attachment and enjoyed the articles.

                                    [Attachment(s) from Keith W included below]

                                    From: neilnicholson2004@...
                                    Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:11:21 +0100