Charles Dodgson's Birthday

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 26, 2013
      Charles Dodgson born 181 years ago on 27th January 1832.

      At Daresbury we will be having a little celebration in the new Lewis Carroll centre at 2.00 pm. Everyone is welcome.

      Regards,

      Keith Wright
      Editor Daresbury Chronicle
    • Keith W
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2013
        All,

        Llandudno are planning an ‘Alice’ day on 3rd May this year. Went well last year so anyone wanting a weekend break could do worse as it is the Victorian Extravaganza over that weekend also.

        Keith W
      • angeldance66
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
          I wonder if the word "snarky" existed in Carroll's time?

          snark·y (snärk)
          adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang
          1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.
          2. Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.
          [From dialectal snark, to nag, from snark, snork, to snore, snort, from Dutch and Low German snorken, of imitative origin.]

          Jen

          --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, John Tufail <johntufail@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mahendra,
          >
          > First, so far as I can ascertain, the work 'nark' only entered into the
          > English vernacular in the 20th century. I am about 90% certain that
          > Carroll would not have had access to the word.
          >
          > Second. It is highly likely (like a great majority of people of his class)
          > that carroll would have been familiar with opiate-based drugs. Laudunum
          > (or other similar concoctions), after all was prescibed liberally as a
          > panacea for many conditions that caused pain or other physical trauma.
          >
          > Third. In Carroll's world, no one was ever taken to prison for possession
          > of such drugs.
          >
          > They were , in general, over the counter.
          >
          > In fact I am fairly sure that the concept of 'prescribe' drugs even existed
          > in Carroll's day. Even Arsenic could be bought over the counter. True,
          > some form of drug registration and recording did exist in the second half
          > of the 19th century - but not, so far as i am aware formal prscription.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > JT
          >

          > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM, knaveofarts <knaveofarts@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Could Snark be short for 'nark, or 'is nark?'
          > >
          > > A narcotic induces mental lethargy 2.16 or profound sleep 2.17, but in
          > > poisonous doses produces stupor, coma, or convulsions. 3.13
          > >
          > > Nark n. Romany. a spy employed by the police; an informer.
          > >
          > > If the Snark is a Boojum - and it was - you will suddenly vanish away -be
          > > taken to prison?
          > >
          > > Hence, was the Snark an undercover narcotics policeman?
          > >
          > > Of course, that begs the question - was possession of narcotics, or else
          > > of some type of narcotics, a criminal offense in Carroll's time? My thought
          > > is, probably not. And, then, the other question - did Carroll take any
          > > narcotics? My guess is, probably, on occasion, just as an experiment.

        • John Tufail
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
            Hi Jen,

            i have no evidence of it and both I and others have searched.  However, the issue is, would Carroll have used this derivative anyway.  It is hardly appropriate to the formidable (though elusive) creation that Carroll created.

            Regards

            JT

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
              Hmmm John, "rudely sarcastic or disrespectfully snide, irritable,
              irascible"...sounds pretty formidable to me, on a par with the heartless Queen of Hearts.

              Off with its head!

              :-)

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2013
                Hmm, no idea how the subject line got changed...must be the doing of the Snark!

                --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "angeldance66" <jenifer@...> wrote:

                > Hmmm John, "rudely sarcastic or disrespectfully snide, irritable,
                > irascible"...sounds pretty formidable to me, on a par with the heartless Queen of Hearts.
                >
                > Off with its head!
                >
                > :-)
                >
                > Jen
                >
                > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, John Tufail <johntufail@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Jen,
                > >
                > > i have no evidence of it and both I and others have searched. However, the
                > > issue is, would Carroll have used this derivative anyway. It is hardly
                > > appropriate to the formidable (though elusive) creation that Carroll
                > > created.
                > >
                > > Regards
                > >
                > > JT
                > >
                > > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM, angeldance66 <jenifer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > I wonder if the word "snarky" existed in Carroll's time?
                > > >
                > > > snark·y (snärk)
                > > > adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang
                > > > 1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.
                > > > 2. Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.
                > > > [From dialectal snark, to nag, from snark, snork, to snore, snort, from
                > > > Dutch and Low German snorken, of imitative origin.]
                > > >
                > > > Jen

                > > > class)

                > > > existed

                > > > -be

                > > > else
                > > > thought

              • Mahendra Singh
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 6, 2013
                  I'm too pressed for time to google properly but the eminent antipodean Snarkologist, Doug Howick, has conclusively demonstrated the use of the word "snark'd" as far back as the 1700s. A citation is somewhere on my Snark blog, it's used to describe a Maori tattoo!

                  —Mahendra

                  MAHENDRA SINGH: FREELANCE ILLUSTRATION, A/D & DESIGN
                  • Editor of the Knight Letter, journal of the LCSNA
                  The Hunting of the Snark Blog
                  Illustration Samples
                  Represented by Oliver Mielenz, oliver@...
                  follow me on Twitter
                  follow me on Tumblr

                  To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jenifer@...
                  Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:51:31 +0000
                  Subject: [lewiscarroll] Re: Q

                    From: jenifer@...
                    Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:51:31 +0000

                      From: jenifer@...
                      Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:51:31 +0000

                        From: jenifer@...
                        Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:51:31 +0000

                        Hmm, no idea how the subject line got changed...must be the doing of the Snark!

                        --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "angeldance66" wrote:

                        > Hmmm John, "rudely sarcastic or disrespectfully snide, irritable,
                        > irascible"...sounds pretty formidable to me, on a par with the heartless Queen of Hearts.
                        >
                        > Off with its head!
                        >
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > Jen
                        >
                        > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, John Tufail wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Jen,
                        > >
                        > > i have no evidence of it and both I and others have searched. However, the
                        > > issue is, would Carroll have used this derivative anyway. It is hardly
                        > > appropriate to the formidable (though elusive) creation that Carroll
                        > > created.
                        > >
                        > > Regards
                        > >
                        > > JT
                        > >
                        > > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM, angeldance66 wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > **
                        > > >

                        > > > I wonder if the word "snarky" existed in Carroll's time?
                        > > >
                        > > > snark·y (snärk)
                        > > > adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang
                        > > > 1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.
                        > > > 2. Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.
                        > > > [From dialectal snark, to nag, from snark, snork, to snore, snort, from
                        > > > Dutch and Low German snorken, of imitative origin.]
                        > > >
                        > > > Jen

                        > > > class)

                        > > > existed

                        > > > -be

                        > > > else
                        > > > thought

                      • Doug Howick
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 7, 2013

                          John, Mahendra,

                          See Also: http://www2.sl.nsw.gov.au/banks/endeav/image_15.cfm

                          Kind regards

                          doug-colour.JPG

                          From: jenifer@...
                          Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:51:31 +0000

                          Hmm, no idea how the subject line got changed...must be the doing of the Snark!

                          --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "angeldance66" wrote:

                          > Hmmm John, "rudely sarcastic or disrespectfully snide, irritable,
                          > irascible"...sounds pretty formidable to me, on a par with the heartless Queen of Hearts.
                          >
                          > Off with its head!
                          >
                          > :-)
                          >
                          > Jen
                          >
                          > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, John Tufail wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Jen,
                          > >
                          > > i have no evidence of it and both I and others have searched. However, the
                          > > issue is, would Carroll have used this derivative anyway. It is hardly
                          > > appropriate to the formidable (though elusive) creation that Carroll
                          > > created.
                          > >
                          > > Regards
                          > >
                          > > JT
                          > >
                          > > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM, angeldance66 wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > **
                          > > >

                          > > > I wonder if the word "snarky" existed in Carroll's time?
                          > > >
                          > > > snark·y (snärk)
                          > > > adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang
                          > > > 1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.
                          > > > 2. Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.
                          > > > [From dialectal snark, to nag, from snark, snork, to snore, snort, from
                          > > > Dutch and Low German snorken, of imitative origin.]
                          > > >
                          > > > Jen

                          > > > class)

                          > > > existed

                          > > > -be

                          > > > else
                          > > > thought

                          No virus found in this message.

                        • Mahendra Singh

                            From: doug@...
                            Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 22:34:46 +1100

                            From: jenifer@...
                            Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:51:31 +0000

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 7, 2013
                              Hello, John

                              I doubt if there's anything linking Snark to Maori … to my ears at least, there seems to be a rather nautical feeling to the word's use here. Perhaps it was current amongst mariners at the time? Which might explain LC's "vessel was snarked" passage?

                              And this might even suggest that this quatrain had been simmering in LC's mind for quite some time, and perhaps furnished one of the essential "seeds" of the entire poem?

                              Pure speculation, I know. But artists' minds are rarely linear …
                              —Mahendra

                              MAHENDRA SINGH: FREELANCE ILLUSTRATION, A/D & DESIGN
                              • Editor of the Knight Letter, journal of the LCSNA
                              The Hunting of the Snark Blog
                              Illustration Samples
                              Represented by Oliver Mielenz, oliver@...
                              follow me on Twitter
                              follow me on Tumblr
                              • land 514.675.1205

                              To: lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com

                              From: jenifer@...
                              Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:51:31 +0000

                              Hmm, no idea how the subject line got changed...must be the doing of the Snark!

                              --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "angeldance66" wrote:

                              > Hmmm John, "rudely sarcastic or disrespectfully snide, irritable,
                              > irascible"...sounds pretty formidable to me, on a par with the heartless Queen of Hearts.
                              >
                              > Off with its head!
                              >
                              > :-)
                              >
                              > Jen
                              >
                              > --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, John Tufail wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi Jen,
                              > >
                              > > i have no evidence of it and both I and others have searched. However, the
                              > > issue is, would Carroll have used this derivative anyway. It is hardly
                              > > appropriate to the formidable (though elusive) creation that Carroll
                              > > created.
                              > >
                              > > Regards
                              > >
                              > > JT
                              > >
                              > > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM, angeldance66 wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > **
                              > > >

                              > > > I wonder if the word "snarky" existed in Carroll's time?
                              > > >
                              > > > snark·y (snärk)
                              > > > adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang
                              > > > 1. Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.
                              > > > 2. Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.
                              > > > [From dialectal snark, to nag, from snark, snork, to snore, snort, from
                              > > > Dutch and Low German snorken, of imitative origin.]
                              > > >
                              > > > Jen

                              > > > class)

                              > > > existed

                              > > > -be

                              > > > else
                              > > > thought

                            • Deb
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 9, 2013
                                As an Antipodean myself I have always had a suspicion that the ill-fated Snark hunting expedition might have been based on some of the explorational voyages of those who sailed to the southern parts of the Pacific Ocean. Naturalists and explorers flocked to the shores of the Great South Land and an awful lot of them either got lost en route to these parts or while exploring the vast uncharted continent.

                                And Captain Cook's ship the Endeavour certainly did get snarked on the Great Barrier Reef while he was exploring the east coast of Australia.