Re: [lewiscarroll] Digest Number 3042

  • bbreynolds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2012
      In a message dated 1/4/2012 6:55:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

      1. Dali illustrations to Alice in Wonderland
      Posted by: "williams.maria83" williams.maria83@... williams.maria83
      Date: Tue Jan 3, 2012 11:44 am ((PST))

      >Has anybody seen a modern edition of Alice in Wonderland illustrated by
      Dali?
      > I bought that book in Dali museum in London but had to give it away and
      now
      > can't find it anywhere. I do not even know who the publisher was what
      what
      >ear it was published. If anyone has a copy could they tell me where to
      serach
      >for this book please. On internet they only talk about the First Edition
      which is
      >mega money.

      The Dali illustrations were published by Maecenas Press/Random House in
      New York in 1969. Three editions: one of 2500 copies, boxed folio; one of
      200 copies, on extra quality paper; and one of 300 copies on that paper,
      but
      not numbered, for distribution by Dali's enterprises. All copies signed by
      Dali.
      Price now c. $6,000-$9,000 for those from the set of 2500; $18,000-$20,000
      for those from the set of 200; $27,000-$35,000 from those which passed
      through Dali's studio. No reprints of which I am aware.

      The folio was offered as an alternate by the Book-of-the-Month Club (!!!!);
      my
      then spouse and I considered buying it (it was priced, as I recall, in the
      $500
      range) as an investment. My being drafted put a squash on that.

      Bruce B. Reynolds, Trailing Edge Technologies, Warminster PA