Re: [lewiscarroll] Daresbury Chronicle Magazine

  • Michael Everson
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
      On 6 Oct 2011, at 14:33, Keith wrote:

      > I tried to send my latest magazine through the yahoo group as a PDF file but I appear to be blocked from this – if anyone wants a PDF can they let me know off list please?

      You can upload the file via the list's website.

    • John Tufail
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
        Hi Keith,

        I am an avid reader of the Chronicle.  Please keep me on you list.

        By the way, you should try to get permission to publish this article:

        It appears to me that very few 'Carrollians' are actually aware of the fact that Carroll is more relevant today than in any point since he first wrote his wonderfully absurdist books.

        It depresses me that Carroll appears now to be being marginalised by the very people who say that they carry his beacon.  The emphasis continues to be on Alice!

        Regards

        JT

        regards

        JT

        On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Keith <keith@...> wrote:

        All,

        I tried to send my latest magazine through the yahoo group as a PDF file but I appear to be blocked from this – if anyone wants a PDF can they let me know off list please?

        Keith Wright
        Daresbury Lewis Carroll Society.

      • Doug Howick
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011

          Dear Keith,  As usual, John T makes a lot of sense!

          Please keep me on your Chronicle list also.

          Doug Howick

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
            John,

            thank you for your email. If you want a hard copy then send me your address off list.

            My next magazine is not until the new year and by then the financial situation will be much worse than it is now but I have printed out the Guardian article and will check its relevance at that time. I usually have no problem getting permission to print newspaper articles as I’m not in the commercial field with my magazine – I don’t think the Guardian would consider me as a threat!

            The Liddon article came from a visit to Martyn Percy at Cuddesdon when I was researching Bishop Wilberforce.  Discussing Wilberforce is one thing but Liddon is quite another prospect altogether and folk in the church clam up at the mention of his name! There’s no doubt that Liddon ploughed his own furrow at Cuddesdon and disregarded the strength of feeling on the opposition, something Lewis Carroll would never have done.  Liddon’s biographers skirt around this but they themselves had links to Cuddesdon and/or the Church of England. This interest in Wilberforce, and hence to Liddon, came from the book of thirty Victorian clergy photographs found in Ripon Cathedral, Wilberforce is represented there as was Bickerstaffe and Tait, plus many more that Lewis Carroll knew personally. At one time it was suspected that he took the images but now this is considered to be unlikely. It is a unique record of the late 1850’s.

            I’m not sure about LC being marginalised and beacon carriers tend to get things wrong because they wear blinkers when it comes to the subject’s faults. I’m still unsure about LC, after two decades my opinion keeps shifting as I read more. Alice Liddell also has much more to her than we appear to know although she became a much narrower person than LC. LC’s open-mindedness is actually quite astonishing for his age and is a much neglected aspect of his personality.

            Perhaps trying to define LC by 21st century bigotry is not the best thing to do!? Strange to say, we do not do that with other Victorians!

            Best wishes,

            Keith

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
            This is the leaflet which I use in the village and for visitors. It’s meant to be a gentle introduction to Lewis Carroll.