RE: [lewiscarroll] Daresbury Chronicle Magazine

  • Keith Sheppard
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011

      I should quite like a PDF copy of the Daresbury Chronicle, please.

      As a suggestion, rather then having to send it out separately to everyone who requests it (which sounds like a lot of work) could you not just post a copy on your web site and then send out a direct link to everyone on your circulation list?

      Regards

      Keith Sheppard

      Wonderland Revisited and the Games Alice Played There.

      Keith Sheppard's "Wonderland Revisited and the Games Alice Played There" is available now from Amazon, Fishpond and all good bookshops.

      http://www.WriterMan.org.uk

    • Michael Everson
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
        On 6 Oct 2011, at 14:33, Keith wrote:

        > I tried to send my latest magazine through the yahoo group as a PDF file but I appear to be blocked from this – if anyone wants a PDF can they let me know off list please?

        You can upload the file via the list's website.

      • John Tufail
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
          Hi Keith,

          I am an avid reader of the Chronicle.  Please keep me on you list.

          By the way, you should try to get permission to publish this article:

          It appears to me that very few 'Carrollians' are actually aware of the fact that Carroll is more relevant today than in any point since he first wrote his wonderfully absurdist books.

          It depresses me that Carroll appears now to be being marginalised by the very people who say that they carry his beacon.  The emphasis continues to be on Alice!

          Regards

          JT

          regards

          JT

          On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Keith <keith@...> wrote:

          All,

          I tried to send my latest magazine through the yahoo group as a PDF file but I appear to be blocked from this – if anyone wants a PDF can they let me know off list please?

          Keith Wright
          Daresbury Lewis Carroll Society.

        • Doug Howick
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011

            Dear Keith,  As usual, John T makes a lot of sense!

            Please keep me on your Chronicle list also.

            Doug Howick

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
              John,

              thank you for your email. If you want a hard copy then send me your address off list.

              My next magazine is not until the new year and by then the financial situation will be much worse than it is now but I have printed out the Guardian article and will check its relevance at that time. I usually have no problem getting permission to print newspaper articles as I’m not in the commercial field with my magazine – I don’t think the Guardian would consider me as a threat!

              The Liddon article came from a visit to Martyn Percy at Cuddesdon when I was researching Bishop Wilberforce.  Discussing Wilberforce is one thing but Liddon is quite another prospect altogether and folk in the church clam up at the mention of his name! There’s no doubt that Liddon ploughed his own furrow at Cuddesdon and disregarded the strength of feeling on the opposition, something Lewis Carroll would never have done.  Liddon’s biographers skirt around this but they themselves had links to Cuddesdon and/or the Church of England. This interest in Wilberforce, and hence to Liddon, came from the book of thirty Victorian clergy photographs found in Ripon Cathedral, Wilberforce is represented there as was Bickerstaffe and Tait, plus many more that Lewis Carroll knew personally. At one time it was suspected that he took the images but now this is considered to be unlikely. It is a unique record of the late 1850’s.

              I’m not sure about LC being marginalised and beacon carriers tend to get things wrong because they wear blinkers when it comes to the subject’s faults. I’m still unsure about LC, after two decades my opinion keeps shifting as I read more. Alice Liddell also has much more to her than we appear to know although she became a much narrower person than LC. LC’s open-mindedness is actually quite astonishing for his age and is a much neglected aspect of his personality.

              Perhaps trying to define LC by 21st century bigotry is not the best thing to do!? Strange to say, we do not do that with other Victorians!

              Best wishes,

              Keith

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 6, 2011
              This is the leaflet which I use in the village and for visitors. It’s meant to be a gentle introduction to Lewis Carroll.