Re: [lewiscarroll] Phlizz

  • Michael Everson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2011
      On 23 Jul 2011, at 20:29, yuvalhol wrote:

      > I'm sure I'll have many questions in the months to come. Currently I'm trying to understand what is the origin of the word phlizz. Is it one of his utter nonsence words, or does it have a known rationality behind it?

      OED says:

      Etymology: A factitious word introduced by Lewis Carroll (see quots. 18891 and 18892).

      Perhaps influenced by fizz n.

      Something apparently existing, or existing in name, but having no real substance; anything without meaning or value; a chimera. (Originally in Carroll's Sylvie and Bruno referring to illusory fruit and flowers, and in one scene an illusory nursemaid.)

    • yuvalhol
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2011
        Thank you very much. Your answer has been very informative.
        Now I have to think how to call it in my translשtion.