Re: Multiple identities in Sylvie and Bruno

  • Guy
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011
      --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, Michael Everson <everson@...> wrote:

      > On 27 Feb 2011, at 23:27, John Tufail wrote:
      >
      > > This of course raises a point. Carroll, traditionally has been described as belonging to the 'Nonsense' genre. I disagree. I think more accurately he should be included within the absurdist genre - in fact, perhaps, the first absurdist.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdist_fiction

      Quoting the above:

      "Absurdist fiction is a genre of literature, most often employed in novels, plays or poems, that focuses on the experiences of characters in a situation where they cannot find any inherent purpose in life, most often represented by ultimately meaningless actions and events."

      I would take issue with the implied claim that Carroll's characters "cannot find any inherent purpose in life". On the contrary, most of them seem to driven by a strong sense of purpose, be it hunting the Snark or organizing mad tea-parties. The purpose itself may be illogical or incoherent, but I see little of the nihilistic philosophy that one finds in the works of, say, Beckett (except perhaps in characters like the Mock Turtle).