"Alice nel paese delle meraviglie" - a new opera in Palermo

  • Adele Cammarata
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2010
      Hi all!
      I've just been to a new opera show inspired to Alice in Wonderland and I'm really proud it has been in my city!
      It's a production by Teatro Massimo of Palermo, an opera written by Giovanni D'Aquila (music) and Francesco Micheli (lyrics). It's quite faithful, if you mean a faith to the "spirit" rather than to the "letter". In this version, Alice fall asleep at school in Palermo, and some of the place have connection to Palermo's places (White Rabbit's house is Villa Deliella, a very beautiful "villa" that doesnt' exist anymore because it has been canceled by an explotion during one night, in ordered to build a... parking). Some of the themes are in Sicilian, not only in Italian.
      There are also some TtLG episodes (the Unicorn, a quotation of the Walrus).
      In my opinion, it's been a very good adaptation, where the main themes are identity and time, and also innocence and childhood.
      The mise en scene was made with the pupils of several schools in the city: they prepared the objects in the scenes and took part to the show.

      Here's some link:

      Enjoy,
      Adele
    • John Tufail
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2010
        Hi Adele,

        This is quite wonderful news - and about time to!

        is it possible to access any excepts of this online?

        You are right to feel proud.

        regards

        John Tufail