Re: Oxford Alice Day

  • Jenny
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2010
      Hi Keith

      No, I wasn't involved in it personally but it sounded good and a brave effort. I am really sorry that it worked out that way, how very disappointing for you. And I suppose it also stopped you from finding something else to do on Alice's day.

      I am glad you had a good time at Blackwells though - and that you get an opportunity to do something else next year.

      --- In lewiscarroll@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jenny
      >
      > Were you involved in the Mad Hatter's Lunch Party?
      >
      > I was due to appear at this event but the organisers changed their mind at the last minute, because of a perceived conflict of commercial interest. They will be promoting their audio book and suddenly decided that having the author of another product presenting at the event would be "confusing and might adversely affect sales". Oh well.
      >
      > Had a great evening in Blackwell's on Tuesday night as part of the authors' panel. Four authors, including myself, each presented their take on Alice before throwing it open to the floor for questions.
      >
      > The event sounded a bit esoteric to me so I was only expecting a handful of attendees but it was packed. I estimated about 70 odd (some odder than others) Carroll enthusiasts crammed into Blackwell's coffee bar on the first floor. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.
      >
      > I am now looking for an alternative opportunity for an appearance on Alice day itself.
      >
      > Keith S.

    • Keith Sheppard
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2010

        >>And I suppose it also stopped you from finding something else to do on Alice 's day.

        Actually, no. I managed to wangle an invitation back to Blackwell’s to do some reading in the Children’s department.

        Regards

        Keith Sheppard

        Wonderland Revisited and the Games Alice Played There.

        Keith Sheppard's "Wonderland Revisited and the Games Alice Played There" is available now from Amazon, Fishpond and all good bookshops.

        http://www.WriterMan.org.uk

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2010
          Jenny (and anyone else following this thread)

          It has been brought to my attention that some of the things I said in this thread might be misinterpreted to imply I was in some way let down by the organisers of the Mad Hatter's Lunch Party at the Jam Factory.

          It was only a last minute invitation in the first place (following a chance meeting at the author's panel on the preceding Tuesday) so when the organisers later had to withdraw the invitation due to a conflict of interest, the withdrawal wasn't a great inconvenience to me. The invitation was only outstanding for a short time so cannot be construed as having prevented me from making alternative arrangements.

          I think I may have inadvertently given the impression that it was a long standing arrangement that was reneged on at the last minute. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was flattered to be invited at short notice but fully understood why the invitation had to be subsequently withdrawn.

          I apologise unreservedly if I have somehow conveyed any other impression.