7 and 1/2 years

  • knaveofarts
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2010
      In B2, C5 the White Queen asks Alice how old she is, and Alice says "I'm seven and a half, exactly." The White Queen then says "You needn't say 'exactually,'...

      Alice didn't say 'exactually,' so I suspect this is an inside joke, or insiders material, something that Carroll heard Alice say to somebody, possibly to himself.

      If this is the age of the real Alice, the date should be Nov 4, 1859, since Alice was born May 4, 1852. It is also a period for which Carroll's diaries are missing.

      If one assumes a strict real-life parallel with the story, then Alice Liddell should have said this to the Queen. However, acc. to Martin Gardner, the Prince of Wales "entered Christ Church as an undergraduate in October 1859", and the Queen came to Oxford on Dec 12, 1860. Possibly the Prince of Wales may have had this conversation with Alice, but the story has Alice talking with a Queen. Therefore, I suspect that the Queen Mother was in Oxford at this time with her son, possibly bringing him some monogrammed bath towels, and that she had this conversation with Alice on Nov 4, 1859. If no one recognized her, it was probably because she was disguised as a White Rabbit.
    • John Tufail
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2010

        Nice!:)

        I think this is one of Carroll's little word plays.  The last the letters of exact being the first three
         letters of actually, in context it would be quite in character for any queen to use the sentence, "You needn't say exactly, actually.  This is a clue to the logic of the White Queen.

        Regards

        JT